[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] BBS/uucp/fido gateway code?

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/29/90)

In article <4682@uwm.edu>, dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
> I'm considering running a bbs/uucp on my 3Meg/40meg disk 2000. I originally
> was thinking of just getting a unix box of some sort and providing uucp and
> very limited news access. But I have the amiga now so...

Nice of you.  But managing a BBS sucks up a LOT of time (if you police it right)
and LOTS of disk space (but you knew that, right?).

> I'd like to pick a platform in which I could provide users with a pd uucp
> and hopefully some human useable news/mail reader/poster and let them do
> the interactive work on their machines which would then do batch connections
> to my machine which would be just a hop from the internet. I was thinking
> a fido gateway would be neat as well if it was available.

Use Dillon's UUCP system for UUCP connections.  It works well.  As for the
BBS end, gee, there's several to choose from, none of which are really very
bulletproof.  You could write a front end program which watches the serial
ports and permits logins.  If you see the login is a UUCP connection, you
could launch Dillon's uucico, feed it the necessary stuff for a login and
have your program just pass the data to and from uucico and the modem.
Alternately, if it's a BBS login, fire up the BBS software.

You might be able to hack up Dillon's stuff to do all of this and provide
Fidonet access as well.  It all depends on how much programming you want
to do.  I can't think of a set of canned software that'll do it without
some "glue" programs to tie it together.

> I also wondered what the cheapest way of adding a serial line or 2 is to
> the machine.

I have one of ASDG's Dual Serial Boards.  Works just wonderfully!  One port
talks to a Telebit T1000 modem, the other talks to my Unix box directly.
The Amiga's port talks to a Supra 2400 baud modem as well as a Vax (via
a Black Box autoswitch).

> What do you folks suggest?

This folk (singular) suggests the above.  Your mileage may vary.

> Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT
> Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133, USnail: CSD, P.O. Box 413, Milwaukee, WI  53201

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"