[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Dust in the Box

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (06/15/90)

 In a previous article, menzies@altitude.CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) writes:
>dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:
>>Is there some way to replace the 2000's fan with a quieter fan
>
>If you've had your 2000 for a while, the fan blades may be dirty.
>Take a few minutes to clean them and it should run alot quieter.
>Mine did.

I have found that my Amiga 2000 attracts an INCREDIBLE amount of dust.  I
usually vaccuum the hard disk air holes and front vents about every 3 days
to 1 week.  Once every 3 months or so, I open it up and use a vaccuum cleaner
on the inside.  I find HUGE amounts of dust inside.  I then use a can of
compressed air to blow into the floppy drive, power supply cage, and hard
disk to free all the dust I couldn't suck out.  My amiga gets about 3-4 hours
of use every day.  Does anybody else have this problem?  It seems like some
type of dust filter for the front face of the machine where the air inlets
are would be a big help in cutting down the dust, especially for places like
stores and amiga developers that have their machines on 8-12 hours a day.  I
have found from reading manufacturers specs that the biggest contributor to
failure of parts is heat, and it seems that all this dust makes for great
little thermal blankets that surround each part in a form-fitting fashion.
Any thoughts?

Does anybody have some good suggestions for cutting down dust?

>>dylan
>--
>Stephen Menzies

    -dave

In article <13405@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

> I have found that my Amiga 2000 attracts an INCREDIBLE amount of dust.  I
> usually vaccuum the hard disk air holes and front vents about every 3 days
> to 1 week.  Once every 3 months or so, I open it up and use a vaccuum cleaner
> on the inside.  I find HUGE amounts of dust inside.
> Any thoughts?

Uh, how's your black lung insurance?   8-)

You don't mention what kind of environment you're in, but that sounds like
a lot of dust.  If it's a home or small office maybe you should consider
a room air filter or cleaner.  If you in a big office area, there's not too
much you can do.  If you are faithful about cleaning it, you could put one
of those "foam with big holes" filters over some of the intakes, but usually
they cause more problems than they cure - dust is fairly harmless, overheating
due to impaired airflow is often fatal.

harald@boink.UUCP (Harald Milne) (06/27/90)

In article <48743@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, chiuk@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
> In article <7394@dayton.UUCP> jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG (J. Deters) writes:
> >What I did was to disassemble the power supply cabinet, and turn the fan
> >around so it blew IN to the power supply.
>
> Is there any particular reason why the Amiga comes with the fan sucking
> out instead of blowing in?  It seems that having dust being pulled in
> through the disk drive openings is a bad idea.

	I could not agree more. It is bad enough with the 3.5 floppy drives, but
the floppies sitting in the 5 1/4 drive for the bridgecards have no protection
at all. At least the 3.5 floppy (when not inserted) are enclosed and protected,
albiet dusty.

> I am seriously considering reversing the fan on my 2000 the next time I
> open it up.

	Last time I tore my A2000 apart, I removed the mother board to install
the last 2 AT connectors on the PC bus. I cleaned the dust off everything,
since removal of the motherboard is about the only way to get at
everything easily.

	I also disassembled the power supply. It was caked full of dust, lint,
you name it. Kinda scary when you think about thermally insulating power
handling components. Im full up on buss slots and drives, so I am sucking
close to the maximum power available as it is.

	A real mess to say the least.

	Here is what I will do during my next surgical operation.
        1) Reverse the fan.
		2) Rubber isolation mounting for the fan to reduce fan noise
		   amplified by the sheet metal case and cover.
        3) Last but not least, put a removable and servicable filter
           on the input to the fan.

    It may be debatable as to the good or bad of reversing the fan, but
I "feel" that the airflow internally is too "smooth" because of the fan
sucking, as opposed to the more violent blowing into the box, the
turbulance generated from colliding and avoiding blocking passages.

	The reason I'm making this point is, I have many heat generating
PC bus periphal cards on the far side, away from the fan, and they are
quite warm. In my opinion, the A2000 has a "hot spot" here. I honestly
don't see how reversal could be worse as far as component cooling is
concerned, but one thing is certain: My floppy drives will thank me!

    Anybody know of a good way to clean the floppy drives? I've thought
of "blasting" them with compressed air, but my mind sees images of
drive heads and whatever, flying out the other end.

	Of course, I don't have any wind tunnel data to back these opinions,
so take what I say here with a grain of salt.

	Im tired of the dust, clumps of hair, and lint all mixed together
blocking every concievable opening going into the A2000, and there many.

	It's a pain to clean, and in my case, I have to do it often.
--
Harald Milne                   RISCy business	       uunet!ccicpg!boink!harald

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/29/90)

In article <10674@netcom.UUCP>, mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:
> I was thinking about trying to
> stretch a double layer of panty hose material across the front where most of
> the holes are.  The tough part is doing things like mouse and keyboard entry
> points correctly.  Those areas are also the hardest to clean.  I agree with
> the viewpoint that dust is generally harmless (unless it is in your monitor!)
> and that overheating caused by the dust is the thing to worry about.

I think that using panty hose stuff would be even more restrictive than the
foam stuff.  But, I'm not an airflow weenie.

I use a negative ion generator to keep the dust down, but I keep it on the FAR
SIDE of the room, as far away from the systems (and I have 6 running) as
possible.  It works pretty well.  You must be careful about the static it
can create, but I treat the carpets with anti-stat and the cases of the
systems are grounded heavily.  Like I said, it works, but it could be
dangerous.

I will now don my suit of armor, since I'm probably gonna get flamed for
suggesting such a thing. 8-)

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"