[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Use A500 with A590 powered off?

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun18.191302.11834@diku.dk>, thomas@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Thomas Nikolajsen) writes:
> The problem is that I would like to have a silent Amiga when I don't need
> the HD or 2M memory; I could for instance like to sleep in the night.

My systems are in a different room.  I just close the door.  They never get
shut down unless I have to do some maintenence.

> If I power the A500 on with the A590 powered off, it will GURU (or is dead),
> if I power both the A500 and A590 on, boots, and then power the A590 off,
> then the A500 won't boot: It GURUs during the boot.

Sure, because you're hanging the expansion bus and God-knows-what-else with
the 590 turned off.  The only thing you can do is shut down, disconnect the
590, and reboot.  Actually, I'm surprised it gets as far in the boot
process as it does.

> I was under the impression that if there is bad memory on a board,
> then it is mapped out during boot.  (well maybe I was dreaming .. sleeping).
> Does this have anything to do with AutoConfig, how does it work (I know it
> has been explained before but I was too busy to read what Dave wrote)?

Absolutely.  The 590 is on the expansion bus, which you hold in weird states
if the 590's power is off.

> thomas@diku.dk, Thomas Nikolajsen, CS. Dept., U. of Copenhagen, Denmark
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"