[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CBM A590 with A1000

chrisw@gondor.actrix.co.nz (Chris Woodhouse) (07/03/90)

Can anyone advise please.

I have heard rumours that you can use a CBM A590 hard disk
with an Amiga 1000. If so, how do you go about doing this?
Also, if this is possible will the optional RAM expansion
in the A590 autoconfigure on an A1000?

These questions have been raised by a fellow A1000 owner
who is contemplating upgrading options such as selling
the A1000 or keeping it and purchasing a A590.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

--

Chris Woodhouse, chrisw@gondor.actrix.co.nz

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (07/03/90)

chrisw@gondor.actrix.co.nz (Chris Woodhouse) writes:

>Can anyone advise please.

>I have heard rumours that you can use a CBM A590 hard disk
>with an Amiga 1000. If so, how do you go about doing this?
>Also, if this is possible will the optional RAM expansion

Yes this is true. I have an A1000+A590+1 meg in the A590.

It works great.

Simply turn the 590 around 180 degress (it should still be right side up!)
and plug it in.

Due to the metal shielding connector thing sticking out of the 590
you will need to remove the shied that it wraped around
the expansion connector of the A1000. I did this without much
trouble - but you do need to remove the floppy drive on the
1000. The screws holding this sheild have nuts under the motherboard -
make sure you get those out so they dont cause shorts.

This oughta be placed in the monthly posting since somebody asks for
it fairly often.