[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Convert External to Internal Floppy Drive?

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (06/30/90)

I have a 2000 with 1 internal floppy drive (also HD & GVP accellerator)
and one of these ancient, bulky, external C= floppy drives left over
from my 1000.
   Can I convert this external drive (addressed as DF2:) to an INTERNAL
one (addressed as DF1:)?  If anyone can give me information on this or
point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.  My experience
with soldering and building cables, however, is nearly nil: :-(  Do I
stand a chance?
   Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

 ._.  Udo Schuermann             "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"
 ( )  walrus@cscwam.umd.edu                                  -- Monty Python

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood) (07/05/90)

>In article <1990Jun29.201907.19420@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
>I have a 2000 with 1 internal floppy drive (also HD & GVP accellerator)
>and one of these ancient, bulky, external C= floppy drives left over
>from my 1000.
>   Can I convert this external drive (addressed as DF2:) to an INTERNAL
>one (addressed as DF1:)?  If anyone can give me information on this or
>point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.  My experience
>with soldering and building cables, however, is nearly nil: :-(  Do I
>stand a chance?
>   Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
>
> ._.  Udo Schuermann             "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"
> ( )  walrus@cscwam.umd.edu                                  -- Monty Python

Although you seem to be looking for hardware tips, there is a software
solution which simply allows addressing the existing external (df2:)
drive as df1:.  I only just got an extra (df2:) floppy and haven't
tried this myself, so I can't vouch for it's usefullness.

This is from the Commodore Workbench1.3 Disk in :devs/mountlist.  It's
a mountlist entry for DF1: with Unit = set to 2 and Device = set to
trackdisk.device.

I assume one would just "Mount DF1:" in his/her startup-sequence.

--
|\    |  |    | Become  an                  |  uunet!digi!woodwrk!dick