[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] More A3000 video questions

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (07/09/90)

In article <2927@tellab5.tellabs.com> menelli@tellabs.com (Ron Menelli) writes:
>I have a few questions regarding the combination of my recently purchased
>A3000/25-40 (Truly excellent machine!!!) and a Seiko CM-1440 Multisync
>monitor...
>
>First of all, this monitor has a huge overscan area. It makes normal screens
>(such as in games) look fairly silly. Obviously, this is not the fault of
>the computer, but the area is so big that when I attempt to use the
>Overscan section of Preferences to enlarge the screen, I can't open the
>box up wide enough to stretch across the screen. It leaves roughly 1/2" on
>the right side where nothing is displayed (just the background color.) The
>monitor type is set to 'ntsc.monitor', but 'multisync.monitor' is actually
>worse. Is there any way I can fix it to use the entire screen area for my
>Workbench screen?
>
>Secondly, the Hires-Interlaced display is rock solid except for the first
>1/3 of the first scan line, which flickers madly. The VDE adjust does not
>appear to affect it (I didn't turn it too far from the original setting
>since I didn't want to ruin an otherwise perfect setting.) Any ideas what this
>could be?
>
>Finally, as I said in the preceding paragraph, the Hires-Interlaced display
>is nearly perfect, but when I switch to Productivity or Productivity-Interlaced
>I get weird flickering distortion (entirely different from interlace flicker)
>around certain color combinations. I'm not at the computer now, but if I
>recall correctly, around black text on a grey background, I get green "fuzz"
>around the edges. Hmmmmmm.....
>
>Thanks in advance for any help,
>Ron Menelli
>menelli@sungd.tellabs.com

1) You may be able to adjust your monitors horizontal sizing control to
fit your requirements but it depends on the monitor.  Look on your
manual to see if this is possible.

2) That first 1/2 line is NORMAL and is part of the way AMBER
de-interlaces the interlaced screens.  If you can adjust your vertical
size control to put this behind the monitors bezal it will help.  The
1950 monitor allows you to do this and is an excellent monitor.

3) You may need to slightly adjust the Display Enhancer's fine tuning
control as outlined in the "Introducing the Commodore Amiga 3000" manual
using the included fine tuning tool.  Please try to follow the
instructions carefully.. this should solve your problem.

I hope that this answers your questions!!

Enjoy your new A3000!

Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"