[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Clicking drive

chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) (07/08/90)

Hello again hardware people.  Many thanks to all for the quick and
consistent answer to my question about the color and tint
knobs on the Amiga monitor.  This emboldens me to ask a second question.
When I originally called my local Amiga shop about the color and tint
knob question, I was told that I should bring in the machine.
Well all you folks saved me a lot and time and trouble with doing that.
Now I asked this same fellow on the phone about the fact that
the external disk drive sometimes clicks as though it was trying
to read a disk when it is empty.  He said that this happens sometimes
even with internal drives, and did not seem concerned about it.
Given his lack of knowledge about the color and tint question, I
am now curious to know if anyone knows anything about this, and
what might be done.  (In fact I just put a disk into the external
drive to keep it quiet).

Cheers,
 Seth

Seth Chaiklin         Institute for Learning Technologies
(212) 678-3899        Box 8, Teachers College, Columbia University, NYC 10027
INTERNET:  chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu    UUCP:  seth@ny-yn

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul8.145133.16205@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:
>When I originally called my local Amiga shop about the color and tint
>knob question, I was told that I should bring in the machine.
     Not very attentive people. Let's be charitable and say that they
misunderstood your question.
>Now I asked this same fellow on the phone about the fact that
>the external disk drive sometimes clicks as though it was trying
>to read a disk when it is empty.  He said that this happens sometimes
>even with internal drives, and did not seem concerned about it.
     AmigaDOS "clicks" the floppies when it checks to see if one has been
inserted. There is a small PD (or at least freely distributable - not sure
which) programme called "NoClick" (up to version 3.6?) which stops this
from happening.
     However, it _is_ normal, if a bit annoying. I just run NoClick to get
rid of the problem. Or, you can insert a floppy. Either one works fine.
     I don't know of NoClick works under V2.0 of the OS. I rather suspect
not, but has anybody tried it?
                                                     - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor: LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction | PLink: Skywise |
| Elfinkind, Unite!  | phoenix@ms.uky.edu  |  phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet  |

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/10/90)

In article <15607@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <1990Jul8.145133.16205@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:

[Another question removed]

>>Now I asked this same fellow on the phone about the fact that
>>the external disk drive sometimes clicks as though it was trying
>>to read a disk when it is empty.  He said that this happens sometimes
>>even with internal drives, and did not seem concerned about it.
>     AmigaDOS "clicks" the floppies when it checks to see if one has been
>inserted. There is a small PD (or at least freely distributable - not sure
>which) programme called "NoClick" (up to version 3.6?) which stops this
>from happening.
>     However, it _is_ normal, if a bit annoying. I just run NoClick to get
>rid of the problem. Or, you can insert a floppy. Either one works fine.
>     I don't know of NoClick works under V2.0 of the OS. I rather suspect
>not, but has anybody tried it?

But then, of course, 2.0 has NoClick built into preferences...   :-)

NOTE:  Make sure that you have a drive with a limiting switch instead of a
bumper in the drive, so that noclick will not damage the drive.  Very few,
mostly older drives are made this way, which is why the default under 2.0
has NoClick disabled.  More o' that CYA (cover your ass) technology...

>                                                     - R'ykandar.

...greg

        ___  Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are not my own, but
AMIGA! ////  the property of some higher-up power, to which I am only a tool.
      ////     "Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the machine." -- Pink Floyd
___  //// "Reality is only a simulation, and it's still in beta testing." -- Me
\\\\////
 \\XX//            Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu