[net.space] questions about the theory of relativity

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (05/14/85)

From: Patrick_Duff <pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

   While space-digest is answering questions from people who have always
been bothered by some aspect of the theory of relativity, I have a few
which have been puzzling me for some time.

   Is it theoretically possible to create a device which, after being
"locked" onto an object (e.g., the Earth), could always tell you your
velocity relative to that object (even after a period of near-light speed
travel, various maneuvers, etc.)?  I'm not talking about a computer which
would perform calculations based upon a history file of past accelerations,
but rather a "device" which reacts to the accelerations it experiences.
What about a "clock" which would always tell you the time & date on the
other object?  It seems to me that if you can make either one you can make
the other one as well;  they are *almost* the same device, aren't they?
If these devices are possible, would they require lots of mass (as massive
as a planet, perhaps?) to achieve reasonable accuracy over inter-stellar
distances, or could they be something more like a wrist-watch?

An early science fiction book (\Skylark/ by E. E. Doc Smith) had another
interesting device which was something like a compass;  where-ever you were
in the universe, it would point at whatever you had "locked" it onto (the
farther away you were from the object, the longer it took the needle to
stop moving, or the more power you had to feed it, or something like that;
at one point the characters in the story measured this to find out not only
the direction, but also the approximate distance to the object).

   In science fiction stories, the ease with which ships travel through time
without traveling through space has always bothered me.  If you could
exchange one of the three space axes for a time axis (such as inside the
event horizon of a black hole?), travel along it, and then rotate back, then
to move 1 second you would have to travel approximately 186,000 miles.  Am
I missing something here?  Also, what difference would it make whether you
traveled that distance at a slow speed (.001 c) or a fast speed (.999 c)?
Does such travel avoid any cause/effect paradoxes?  After all, you would be
staying within the cause/effect light-cone, wouldn't you?

   Finally (for now anyway), I have heard it said that Einstein's theory of
relativity could be replaced by a quantum theory of gravity.  I'm unconvinced;
it seems to me that they concern fundamentally different aspects of the
universe.

   regards, Patrick

   Patrick S. Duff, ***CR 5621***          pduff.ti-eg@csnet-relay
   5049 Walker Dr. #91103                  214/480-1659 (work)
   The Colony, TX 75056-1120               214/370-5363 (home)
   (a suburb of Dallas, TX)

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:gwyn@Brl.ARPA (05/14/85)

From: Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl.ARPA>

>    Is it theoretically possible to create a device which, after being
> "locked" onto an object (e.g., the Earth), could always tell you your
> velocity relative to that object (even after a period of near-light speed
> travel, various maneuvers, etc.)?

Not really, because it would have to know all about the structure of the
region of space(-time) it was operated in.  If you happen to know what the
structure is (e.g., essentially flat in intergalactic space), then a close
approximation could be done by keeping track of perceived accelerations.

If the "other object" were another spaceship, it would be even harder,
since the device would also have to know how the other object was moving.

>				     I'm not talking about a computer which
> would perform calculations based upon a history file of past accelerations,
> but rather a "device" which reacts to the accelerations it experiences.

What's the difference?

> What about a "clock" which would always tell you the time & date on the
> other object?

Similar situation.  Both cases assume that there is a meaning to where
the distant object "really is" and what its time "really is"; in general
there is no single answer to these questions.

>    In science fiction stories, the ease with which ships travel through time
> without traveling through space has always bothered me.

Gee, I find it easy to move through time without moving through space.
Rip van Winkle found it even easier..

>    Finally (for now anyway), I have heard it said that Einstein's theory of
> relativity could be replaced by a quantum theory of gravity.

Funny how the people who say this haven't been able to do so.

>								I'm unconvinced;
> it seems to me that they concern fundamentally different aspects of the
> universe.

Yes, indeed.  More relevantly, their conceptual foundations are quite
dissimilar.  General relativity (more precisely, generalized field theory)
is best expressed as a theory about an objective reality.  Quantum theory
(QED, QCD) fundamentally denies this.  Both theories are claimed to work;
no single theory has yet been able to unify these two.  Most recent such
attempts start from the quantum approach; Einstein started from the field
theory approach.  There are some striking similarities in some of the
resulting technical details (e.g., non-Abelian gauge groups for "internal"
symmetries) but there are still considerable differences in the concepts.

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (05/15/85)

From: Patrick_Duff <pduff%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

   By now, most readers should have had an opportunity to reach their own
opinions concerning the questions I posed.  Now that 24 hours has passed
since I mailed my last message, let me throw in a few of my opinions.

>   Is it theoretically possible to create a device which, after being
>"locked" onto an object (e.g., the Earth), could always tell you your
>velocity relative to that object (even after a period of near-light speed
>travel, various maneuvers, etc.)?  I'm not talking about a computer which
>would perform calculations based upon a history file of past accelerations,
>but rather a "device" which reacts to the accelerations it experiences.
>What about a "clock" which would always tell you the time & date on the
>other object?

   What's missing here is the unspoken assumption that the object does not
accellerate after it is "locked" onto (I suppose one could compensate for
predictable accellerations, such as those due to the object's orbit (e.g.,
the Earth's orbit around Sol)).  An alternative (though much less useful)
is to have a device which would be "reset" (perhaps while on the ground
before takeoff) and would then give the velocity or time & date at that
point in space (which will soon be empty as the planet moves on) relative
to you regardless of subsequent manuevers.

   My opinion is yes, they are theoretically possible.  Practical
complications abound however.  For instance, you would have to consider the
accelerations experienced while moving in a gravitational field (such as
when passing near a black hole).  In the case of the clock, since the rate
at which it would register passing time would change over a wide range, a
purely mechanical solution is difficult.  In some situations it would need
to move so slowly that vibration, friction and random molecular motions
(heat) would become overriding influences.  In other situations the various
parts of the mechanism would need to move extremely rapidly.  These
problems could be solved if the device were able to automatically change
scales (e.g., one revolution of an indicator used to mean one week passing
on the object, but now it means one hour passing) whenever things started
going too slowly (or too quickly).

   I don't know whether you could do these operations without keeping a
history of past accellerations.  What I'd prefer is a device which simply
changes its current operation in direct response to an accelleration it is
currently experiencing.

>An early science fiction book (\Skylark/ by E. E. Doc Smith) had another
>interesting device which was something like a compass;  where-ever you were
>in the universe, it would point at whatever you had "locked" it onto (the
>farther away you were from the object, the longer it took the needle to
>stop moving, or the more power you had to feed it, or something like that;
>at one point the characters in the story measured this to find out not only
>the direction, but also the approximate distance to the object).

   In \Skylark/ the power to the compass was turned on only when a reading
was needed (at least, that's the way I remember it happening).  It seems to
me that you would need to power such a device continuously unless it used
a history file.

   What I'm discussing in the above paragraphs are some of the instruments
which would be needed on a ship capable of traveling at relativistic
velocities.  When such a ship needs to know where to aim its communication
laser, what frequency or bit-rate to use, when to start sending it, the
distance to another object, how to rendezvous with another ship, etc., the
instruments which are used today on sea-going ships and orbital vehicles
are completely inadequate.  We know enough right now to write programs for
all of the necessary calculations;  can someone who has experience as a
navigator, communicator, etc. suggest a list of what calculations would be
needed to answer all of the questions which would arise in the operation of
such a ship?

>   In science fiction stories, the ease with which ships travel through time
>without traveling through space has always bothered me.  If you could
>exchange one of the three space axes for a time axis (such as inside the
>event horizon of a black hole?), travel along it, and then rotate back, then
>to move 1 second you would have to travel approximately 186,000 miles.  Am
>I missing something here?  Also, what difference would it make whether you
>traveled that distance at a slow speed (.001 c) or a fast speed (.999 c)?
>Does such travel avoid any cause/effect paradoxes?  After all, you would be
>staying within the cause/effect light-cone, wouldn't you?

    Since travel along the time-axis while it is exchanged with one of the
space axes is space-like and hence limited by the speed of light, this
implies that the rate at which one can travel through time (at least, by
this method) is also limited.

    The question about the velocity of travel along the time axis really
opens up a can of worms.  Relativistic effects are tied to gravitational
phenomena;  what would a gravitational field look like while travelling
along a rotated time axis?  It seems to me that any velocity-related
effects would operate in a time-like manner on the space-like time-axis;
in other words, some kind of "meta-time" (I don't know what it is, but
it was fun to include it!).

    As for cause/effect paradoxes, upon reflection I now realize that when
you exchange a time-axis with a space-axis, you will actually be operating
outside the cause/effect light-cone, not inside it as I had originally
imagined.