[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A590 Hard Drive

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (06/27/90)

I have several questions about the A590 Hard Drive.

I did a recent project in AmigaVision(Yes it is shipping) and
in return I am getting an A590.  Does it support the FFS, how reliable
is it...are they really noisy?  Anything I should know or avoid.
What type of controller does it have?  Can you hook upo other hard drives
to the SCSI interface on the A590.  How easy is it to change the drive in
thje A590.

In article <1990Jun27.201435.28988@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:

>I did a recent project in AmigaVision(Yes it is shipping) and
>in return I am getting an A590.  Does it support the FFS, how reliable
>is it...are they really noisy?  Anything I should know or avoid.
>What type of controller does it have?  Can you hook upo other hard drives
>to the SCSI interface on the A590.  How easy is it to change the drive in
>thje A590.

	It supports FFS, and in fact can boot FFS partitions (it uses the
Rigid Disk Block standard).  The normal drive isn't too bad on noise, but it's
fairly slow.  It has both XT and SCSI controllers, the default drive is XT.
It has an external SCSI port, as well as internal XT & SCSI.  Changing the
drive is quite easy, just pull the old one, plop in another (including
upgrading to a big internal SCSI 3.5" drive, for example.)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"