[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Non Flicker Cable

jfath@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (jerome fath) (07/13/90)

I recently bought a cable from Pre'Spect Technics that allows using a
TTL monochrome monitor on an amiga.  The phosphor in these monitors
seems to be high persistence so you get a bit of a blur with moving
objects, but much less flicker in interlace mode.

My problem is I have yet to find a monitor that can be adjusted so that
my amiga screen occupies more than half of the monitor screen.  The
people at Pre'Spect tell me the type of monitor that allows CGA emulation
(gray scale) will cure this problem, but I hate to spend the $ until
I'm sure.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this possible solution?

Thanks.
==============================QuickSig==================================
Jerry Fath

In article <50727@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jfath@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (jerome fath) writes:
> I recently bought a cable from Pre'Spect Technics that allows using a
> TTL monochrome monitor on an amiga.  The phosphor in these monitors
> seems to be high persistence so you get a bit of a blur with moving
> objects, but much less flicker in interlace mode.
>
> My problem is I have yet to find a monitor that can be adjusted so that
> my amiga screen occupies more than half of the monitor screen.  The
> people at Pre'Spect tell me the type of monitor that allows CGA emulation
> (gray scale) will cure this problem, but I hate to spend the $ until
> I'm sure.

TTL Monochrome monitors are usually set up to match PC Monochrome scan rates.
You may be able to adjust the monitor either external or internally or may
have to change some component values.

CGA Monitors use normal scan rates and work fine, what they describe sounds
reasonable.  You can also use a Monochrome composite monitor to good effect,
these used to be sold as Apple II Monochrome monitors or as Monochrome
monitors to be used with CGA adapters to get monochrome graphics.

Make sure whatever monitor you get does have a long persistance phospher -
those intended for MDA use will, others might...

In article <50727@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jfath@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (jerome fath) writes:
>I recently bought a cable from Pre'Spect Technics that allows using a
>TTL monochrome monitor on an amiga.

Well, a TTL monitor is not the best choice, because it normally can
display only three different shades. So you may lose valid information
on accident by just seeing nothing when color choice happens to not
live well with TTL.
Better would be a composite monitor. The Amiga provides already an
output for them. Here you get all possible shades of grey.
But I have to admit these monitors are not easily available, but if,
then rather inexpensive.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk