[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Tape backup of 2 Amiga's?

nraoaoc@jupiter.nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) (07/15/90)

I have been thinking about getting a tape backup system (probably GVP -
I am happy with their products).  But, to make it really worthwhile, I would
like to be able to backup both of my Amiga's.  Is there any way to connect
them in such a way that:
1. It will not take days to backup 40 meg?  (That's what my estimate is
assuming 19.6k through the serial port.)
2. It is not necessary to have the same SCSI controller on each harddrive?

Since about 150 people share the same news account, email replies would
be preferred.

Pat Palmer (email ppalmer@nrao.edu or ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (07/17/90)

>In article <1990Jul15.030056.29619@nmt.edu> nraoaoc@jupiter.nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) writes:
>I have been thinking about getting a tape backup system (probably GVP -
>I am happy with their products).  But, to make it really worthwhile, I would
>like to be able to backup both of my Amiga's.  Is there any way to connect
>them in such a way that:
>1. It will not take days to backup 40 meg?  (That's what my estimate is
>assuming 19.6k through the serial port.)
>2. It is not necessary to have the same SCSI controller on each harddrive?
>Pat Palmer (email ppalmer@nrao.edu or ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

I only can say that there are several way to connect to amigas. one way
is to connect trough the serialport (very slow, normaly maxxfer at 19200b/s)
or the faster way to connect through the paralellport, maxxfer lies at
40 to 50 kbyte. with an a2500 or a3000 up to 80 kbytes.

the software for serialconnect is (maybe) DNet written by Matt Dillon or
fot the parallelprot ParNet written by the Software Distillery (I think).
I hope it helps...

cu Josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >