[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Anyone recognize this Fatter Agnus problem?

bhoward@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian Howard) (07/17/90)

My roommate recently had the Agnus upgraded in his 2500; the first new chip he
got did strange things (something about the whole picture being scrunched in
the corner; I was out of the country when it happened so I only have his brief
description).  The second (current) one works fine, mostly.  But every so often
the screen blinks (goes black for a fraction of a second), and this morning it
went black and stayed that way (we rebooted and things were back to normal).

For reference, this is what he has (assuming I'm reading the little list he
wrote out correctly):
Fatter Agnus, w/ 1M chip RAM
Rev. 4.3 motherboard
A2630
A2090A
A1084S

If anyone recognizes this problem, please let me know.  Thanks
-- Brian Howard (bhoward@neon.stanford.edu)

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (07/17/90)

In <1990Jul16.214435.5334@Neon.Stanford.EDU> bhoward@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian Howard) writes:

>My roommate recently had the Agnus upgraded in his 2500;
>The second (current) one works fine, mostly.  But every so often
>the screen blinks (goes black for a fraction of a second), and this morning it
>went black and stayed that way (we rebooted and things were back to normal).

This EXACT same problem occurred with my new Agnus on a 2000 (4.5) equipped
with a 2620, 2052, and 2090A.  The Amiga was run bare without the
expansion cards, and the symptoms still existed.  The Agnus (2732A?)
was moved to another Amiga 2000 and it exhibited the same symptoms.
The chip was deemed defective, but I have never received a replacement :-(.

A few months ago, I read in one of the mainstream Amiga magazines that
the failure rate on these chips has been as high as 15%???  I am
starting to get that impression.

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-438-2855 [Telebit+]