[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Commodore 64 EMulator Cable

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (07/12/90)

Just curious, but someone posted that go-64 and the Commodore Emulator II
use only a cable to the parallel port to connect up a 1541 drive. I was
just curious if anyone knew how they got a CABLE to handle the change over
to the 64's deranged serial port. Or does the 1541 have a hidden connector
somewhere.

--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | Currently at work on a VERY deranged   >

In article <11254@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
> Just curious, but someone posted that go-64 and the Commodore Emulator II
> use only a cable to the parallel port to connect up a 1541 drive. I was
> just curious if anyone knew how they got a CABLE to handle the change over
> to the 64's deranged serial port. Or does the 1541 have a hidden connector
> somewhere.

The 8520's that implement the parallel port in the Amiga systems are closely
related to the 6526's that implement the serial bus in the C64, therefore
such "derangement" isn't difficult to accomodoate.

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/13/90)

The C64 serial port is TTL-level.  Since Centronics parallel is also that
voltage/configuration, the interfacing consists merely of a cable that maps
the 4 or 5 (dont' remember) C64 serial port lines onto the data lines of the
parallel port on the Amy, and a neat little bit o' code to drive it.

The C64 interface isn't as obscure as some people believe -- it's just
non-standard.  At the time it wasn't so important to be compatible, and I
believe CBM chose the serial bus for economic reasons...at least that's
what I remember.  That was a good long time ago...

...greg...

I still have my C64 to Amy cable around, if anyone has any specific
questions about it...

        ___  Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are not my own, but
AMIGA! ////  the property of some higher-up power, to which I am only a tool.
      ////     "Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the machine." -- Pink Floyd
___  //// "Reality is only a simulation, and it's still in beta testing." -- Me
\\\\////
 \\XX//            Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

In article <11254@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>Just curious, but someone posted that go-64 and the Commodore Emulator II
>use only a cable to the parallel port to connect up a 1541 drive. I was
>just curious if anyone knew how they got a CABLE to handle the change over
>to the 64's deranged serial port.

It only *LOOKS* like a simple cable. Really it has some (little)
interface electronics built in (line drivers,...).
--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/14/90)

In article <279@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <11254@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>>Just curious, but someone posted that go-64 and the Commodore Emulator II
>>use only a cable to the parallel port to connect up a 1541 drive. I was
>>just curious if anyone knew how they got a CABLE to handle the change over
>>to the 64's deranged serial port.
>
>It only *LOOKS* like a simple cable. Really it has some (little)
>interface electronics built in (line drivers,...).

Sorry, but there is no magic interfacing hardware for the 64 Emulator 2.
The cable is just a DB25 and a 6-pin DIN, with 4 pins of the DIN connected
to 6 pins of the DB25.  I don't know what patents exists for this cable,
so I won't post the pinouts here.  However, I assure you (with the puppy
sitting right in front of me) that the cable is just that -- a cable.
Nothing more to it!

Like I said before, since the C64 serial port and the Centronics parallel
port on the Amiga are both TTL(+5V and 0V), no magic hardware is required.
A clever bit of code drives the entire interface, and with the slow C64
serial bus speeds, the Amiga can easily fake it.

jamesb@bushido.uucp (Jim Harvey) (07/16/90)

In article <279@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <11254@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>>Just curious, but someone posted that go-64 and the Commodore Emulator II
>>use only a cable to the parallel port to connect up a 1541 drive. I was
>>just curious if anyone knew how they got a CABLE to handle the change over
>>to the 64's deranged serial port.
>
>It only *LOOKS* like a simple cable. Really it has some (little)
>interface electronics built in (line drivers,...).
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

There is nothing electronic in the Emulator II cable.  I have one of these and
have used the included "Transfer" program quite a lot (the emulator itself
is a nice curiosity but little more).  "Transfer" works with amiga drives both 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 as well, but I don't trust the Amiga writing to anything but a
genuine 1541.  The program also handles the conversion from ASCII to PET
Half-ASCII as well, and is useful for this task by itself.

--
-------
Jim Harvey                      |

In article <1990Jul16.121404.3272@bushido.uucp> jamesb@bushido.uucp (Jim Harvey) writes:
>In article <279@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>It only *LOOKS* like a simple cable. Really it has some (little)
>>interface electronics built in (line drivers,...).
>
>There is nothing electronic in the Emulator II cable.  I have one of these and
>have used the included "Transfer" program quite a lot
>-------
>Jim Harvey                      |

Sorry, I only knew the project published by german Amiga-Magazin. They
had some line drivers, I think to provide absolute electrical security
when using some lines bidirectionally. I haven't opened any of the
commercial cables myself. I apologize.