[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Quantum 170S on A3000

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/18/90)

If anyone has a Quantum ProDrive 170S working on an A3000, I'd
appreciate some help.

I just got the drive earlier today (from Alliance Peripheral Systems,
highly recommended! Fast service, and low prices), and have not been
able to get it working 100% yet.

Everything seems to be working just fine, and then I get a lockup of the
whole SCSI bus. I've got the stock Quantum 100S addressed at 6 (where it
came from CBM), a CDC Wren III addressed at 0, and the Quantum 170S
addressed at 1.

The Q170S seemed to run through low-level format, partitioning, and
AmigaDOS format just fine, but when I was copying a partition on the
Q100S to the 170, it locked up. I then pulled the 100 from the system,
jumpered the 170 to 6, and ran the whole A3000 install procedure on the
170. It worked perfectly until the last step ("Setting up Icons") when
it locked up again. It has had other random lockups and read/write
errors as well.

There are three jumpers on the drive I don't understand: SS, EP & WS.
The Q100S had EP jumpered, and the other two open, so I set the Q170S up
the same way. What do these jumpers do? Do I have them right?

I've since hooked the Q170S to the HardFrame controller in an A2500/20,
and it seems to be working perfectly. Unfortunatly I want to put the
Q100S in the A2500, and use the Q170S as the A3000's primary drive.

Am I crazy? Can anyone help me?

Oh, one more thing. The Q170S is capable of synchronous SCSI, and so is
the A3000. Does anything exist yet that will allow me to enable
synchronous mode for the Q170S (and not attempt synchronous mode on the
Wren III)?

Since esunix has been very flakey on news lately, I'd appreciate it if
you could respond by e-mail. I'll summarize all the good news I get.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/19/90)

From article <2069@esunix.UUCP>, I wrote:
> If anyone has a Quantum ProDrive 170S working on an A3000, I'd
> appreciate some help.

After a second day of messing with the Quantum 170S, I've got some more
information. On the A590, A2000 with Microbotics Hardframe, and the
A3000, the drive seems to work perfectly _UNDER_1.3_ONLY_. The only time I
have problems is trying to use the drive under 2.0 on the A3000.

Since I was planning to use this drive as the boot drive for the A3000,
I've got a problem!

The drive can be accessed from the CLI under 2.0, but as soon as I type
LOADWB, I get a system error (Suspend/Reboot) requester, and from there
to the Guru. Unfortunatly I didn't write down the Guru numbers, but they
seemed to vary each time.

Why would 2.0 cause problems with an otherwise perfect drive?
(This is the release of 2.0: KS 36.141, WB 36.68.)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP
{decwrl, utah-cs}!esunix!blgardne
DoD #0046                               The Borg killed Laura Palmer!

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (07/20/90)

      Hello..

          I am a certified hardware technician so maybe I can help...

          Jumper SS on a Quantum is the Self Seek Test mode
          This causes th Quantum to perform continuous random
          seek patterns verifing target ID's for ever seek. This
          continues until the HD is powered down or an error
          arrises.

          Jumper WS controls the wait/spin option. If enabled
          the HD will not spin on power-up til the host sends
          the START/STOP UNIT command accross the SCSI BUS.
          This is useful to avoid overloading your power-supply
          on power-up.

          JUMPER EP controls the checking of parity accross the
          SCSI BUS. When disabled, partiy checking is not performed
          although parity is still generated...

                  My Suggestion:  WS disable
                                  EP enable
                                  SS definately disable!

                Hope This Helps!
                    -Later
                        -Tom Nezwek IO91461@maine.bitnet

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/20/90)

From article <2071@esunix.UUCP>, by blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner):
> From article <2069@esunix.UUCP>, I wrote:
>> If anyone has a Quantum ProDrive 170S working on an A3000, I'd
>> appreciate some help.
>
> After a second day of messing with the Quantum 170S, I've got some more
> information. On the A590, A2000 with Microbotics Hardframe, and the
> A3000, the drive seems to work perfectly _UNDER_1.3_ONLY_. The only time I
> have problems is trying to use the drive under 2.0 on the A3000.

The story gets even better, somehow I've messed up the stock Q105S so
that it also crashes under 2.0. I was trying Andy Finkel's suggestion of
turning off reselect on all the drives, and managed to wipe out the
Quantum 105 completely. (Turning off reselect doesn't seem to make any
difference.)

Booting the A3000Install disk under 2.0 produced a consistant Guru of
8000 0004 07C3A5F0. To get the system back, I modified the install script
and ran it under 1.3. Now under 2.0 I get a 8000 0004 07C356D0 or
8000 0004 07C34868 Guru after Startup-Sequence does either BindDrivers
or LoadWB.

Any ideas? (And again, e-mail would be prefered since my site is still
losing news articles.)
--

In <2071@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>From article <2069@esunix.UUCP>, I wrote:
>> If anyone has a Quantum ProDrive 170S working on an A3000, I'd
>> appreciate some help.
>
>After a second day of messing with the Quantum 170S, I've got some more
>information. On the A590, A2000 with Microbotics Hardframe, and the
>A3000, the drive seems to work perfectly _UNDER_1.3_ONLY_. The only time I
>have problems is trying to use the drive under 2.0 on the A3000.
>
>Since I was planning to use this drive as the boot drive for the A3000,
>I've got a problem!
>
>The drive can be accessed from the CLI under 2.0, but as soon as I type
>LOADWB, I get a system error (Suspend/Reboot) requester, and from there
>to the Guru. Unfortunatly I didn't write down the Guru numbers, but they
>seemed to vary each time.
>
>Why would 2.0 cause problems with an otherwise perfect drive?
>(This is the release of 2.0: KS 36.141, WB 36.68.)

Sounds like a corrupted file somewhere. It could be anything to do with the WB,
including the 2.0 kickstart. If it works from the CLI in 2.0, it should work
under WB. I can't think of any reason that the drive would be accessed any
differently just because some WB stuff is doing the accessing.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

In article <2069@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>If anyone has a Quantum ProDrive 170S working on an A3000, I'd
>appreciate some help.
>Everything seems to be working just fine, and then I get a lockup of the
>whole SCSI bus. I've got the stock Quantum 100S addressed at 6 (where it
>came from CBM), a CDC Wren III addressed at 0, and the Quantum 170S
>addressed at 1.

[further description of random lockups]

	Try setting it up with "no" for Supports Reselection.  The drive
does support it, but there are some problems with reselection on the A3000
at the moment.  Anyone using multiple SCSI drives on the A3000 should select
"no" for reselection when setting them up until this is dealt with.

>There are three jumpers on the drive I don't understand: SS, EP & WS.
>The Q100S had EP jumpered, and the other two open, so I set the Q170S up
>the same way. What do these jumpers do? Do I have them right?

	One is probably a parity jumper, I forget about the others.

>Oh, one more thing. The Q170S is capable of synchronous SCSI, and so is
>the A3000. Does anything exist yet that will allow me to enable
>synchronous mode for the Q170S (and not attempt synchronous mode on the
>Wren III)?

	Write a small SCSIDirect program that tells the Quantum to request
Synchronous mode (we don't default to synch since certain drives crash if
you make a synchronous request of them).

>{decwrl, utah-cs}!esunix!blgardne

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

klien@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (Karen Lien) (07/23/90)

In article <1805@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>Sounds like a corrupted file somewhere. It could be anything to do with the WB,
>including the 2.0 kickstart. If it works from the CLI in 2.0, it should work
>under WB. I can't think of any reason that the drive would be accessed any
>differently just because some WB stuff is doing the accessing.

Well, WB writes all over the disk funny files -- .info types mostly :)
I assume you did a complete reformat and reinstall...
I also assume all your mountlist information (whatever needed) is set up
correctly.  Could it be a problem with the current version of FFS?

						-Dave
navas@sim.berkeley.edu
Ignore the Reply-To, although mail will be forwarded to my sim account for now.