[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 with 2058 Memory Board

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (07/22/90)

I bought my A3000 one week before, nice machine. But 2 megs of RAM is
a bit sensless. Ok I insertet an 2058 memory board, wich was lying around
here in my room. After a few minutes the A3000 runs with 4 megs of RAM.
Ok, fine I tought and runed TurboSilver, oops the speed of this construct
was very slow (an Amiga 2000 might be faster). Now, could this be? Is this
while the 2058 ramcard has only 16 bit transfer, or are the rams to slow?
Can this be changed?

cu josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (07/23/90)

Using a Zorro-II memory board is about the SLOWEST thing you
can do to a 3000.  The 16 bit wide, 7.16 Mhz memory is slower even than
the CHIP RAM on the motherboard.
It will run about the speed of a stock 2000 from that memory, maybe
a tad slower.
Get RAM for the motherboard if you want speed, when Zorro-III memory
boards come out, they will be fast (25Mhz 32 bits), until then
the old 16 bit mem boards are not a real good idea on a 3000.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

In article <3647@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>Using a Zorro-II memory board is about the SLOWEST thing you
>can do to a 3000.

This is true, at least until you load up the video bus with too many
blits or display fetches.

>The 16 bit wide, 7.16 Mhz memory is slower even than the CHIP RAM on the
>motherboard.

Well, you would expect this, now that the 3000's Chip RAM is 32 bits wide.

>It will run about the speed of a stock 2000 from that memory, maybe a tad
>slower.

That memory can, at least statistically, be a bit slower than the same
memory on an A2000.  The problem being that the A3000's 25MHz bus must
safely synchronize to the 7MHz Zorro II bus before a cycle can be started;
this has the possibility of adding a wait state that you wouldn't see on
the 2000.

>Get RAM for the motherboard if you want speed,

That's always the best bet.

>when Zorro-III memory boards come out, they will be fast (25Mhz 32 bits),

Well, Zorro III memory boards will be fast, though possibly not quite as
fast as motherboard memory.  The Zorro III bus isn't clocked, so it doesn't
make sense to speak of it as being 16MHz or 25MHz.  There's just a bit more
overhead is a general purpose, CPU speed independent, multiplexed expansion
bus than a specific purpose, single clock speed, non-multiplexed CPU bus.
Zorro III is, of course, 32 bits wide.  And quite noticably faster, from
the CPU's viewpoint, than the Mac II's NuBus, for example.

>until then the old 16 bit mem boards are not a real good idea on a 3000.

Probably better than nothing, but you certainly don't want them as main
memory too often.  Perhaps they would be better as RAM disk memory or some
other slower thing.

>-Roger
>UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun

           The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club