[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Harddrive Problem

boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) (07/23/90)

Has anybody else experienced this problem, or knows of why this
problem is occurring? I have a Xetec Fastrack HD controller and
a Quantum 105Mb HD running in my A2000 with 1Meg chip ram and 3
meg total RAM. The problem is that on a few occasion (about three
times) during the six months of ownership of this system, I have
had the occurrence of my system failing to autoboot from the
harddrive upon system powerup. It appears to fail to recognize the
existence of a harddrive. If I retry the powerup a few times, it
eventually works. The last time this occurred though, I spent about
a half hour retrying and finally gave up concluding that the harddrive
failed. Because it was a holiday, I couldn't do anything with it that
day, therefore made plans to bring it to the shop on the following
day. Later in the evening, I tried it one last time and PRESTO,
it autobooted. My dealer called both Xetec and Quantum, and as I would
expect, both placed fault on the other. The problem is so intermittent,
that I can't really have it serviced because there is no telling
whether the problem would still exist by the time I brought it in to
my repair` center. It is still warranteed, therefore I can get a
replacement if the suspect hardware(???) is identified.

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) (07/24/90)

[Munch all you want, I'll type more]

In article <963@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com>, boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) writes:
> problem is occurring? I have a Xetec Fastrack HD controller and
> a Quantum 105Mb HD running in my A2000 with 1Meg chip ram and 3
> meg total RAM. The problem is that on a few occasion (about three
> times) during the six months of ownership of this system, I have
> had the occurrence of my system failing to autoboot from the
> harddrive upon system powerup. It appears to fail to recognize the
> existence of a harddrive. If I retry the powerup a few times, it
> eventually works. The last time this occurred though, I spent about

I have a problem which sounds similar.

If I leave my 2000 running for a long time (8+ hours) the Quantum 105S will
lock up and refuse to do anything.  I get read/write errors.  If I reboot, the
system will usually fail to notice tha harddrive, even though the access light
flickers.  If I power down, the system usually comes back up.

I have heard of problems with older quantum drives 'sticking', and my drive is
one of the early ones.

How do I get service on the drive, if it is faulty.

I am dead sure that the drive is somehow at fault.

Thanks,
----
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu
\/  Because We're Bored!" \X/   | CREN (BitNet): HONP9@UHVAX1   "Ewige
/\ . DISCLAIMER ." Whose opinions did you think there were?" ;   Blumenkraft"