[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amigas shipping with 16-bit audio?

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (*** Jeff ****) (07/15/90)

I posted this before, but got no responses.  Is it true that Commodore is
developing a new 16-bit DSP that will be used inside Amigas?  I heard Info
and Amazing Computing wrote this in their rumor columns.  Is there anyone
from Commodore that can affirm or deny this?  How about a "no comment?"

Jeff Axelrod                 | "If you chose not to decide, you still have made
                             |  a choice" -Neil Peart, Rush   ///
ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu     |                              \XX/ AMIGAUSER

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (07/15/90)

Jeff> I posted this before, but got no responses.  Is it true that Commodore is
Jeff> developing a new 16-bit DSP that will be used inside Amigas?

Please, oh, please let it be so!  A 16 bit DSP chip with at least a near CD
sampling rate is essential for studio quality sound.  I think the
availability of supported 16 bit 44+MHz stereo+ sound would really bolster
the Amiga's image as a quality multimedia/desktop-video machine.

In fact, if it were possible to add lots of DSP chips with discrete
outputs, say 8 or so on expansion cards, the Amiga could become the center
of a (relatively) low cost all digital recording studio.  (Just add
multiple midi ports and a direct to DAT interface... ;^)

I realize there are some technical problems to overcome (like _massive_
sustained data transfers), and it may be this could only be featured on the
faster 030 models, but please consider it.  AmigaOS seems to have a lot of
potential for real time applications, and this might just be the
application to prove it.

	Just another $0.02 from,
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			Chuck.Phillips%FtCollins.NCR.com

psycho@mango.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (07/15/90)

In article <1990Jul14.173215.25433@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (*** Jeff ****) writes:
>I posted this before, but got no responses.  Is it true that Commodore is
>developing a new 16-bit DSP that will be used inside Amigas?  I heard Info
>and Amazing Computing wrote this in their rumor columns.  Is there anyone
>from Commodore that can affirm or deny this?  How about a "no comment?"

If this sucker is actually on the drawing board (in the CAD
program?) how about 8 voices?  Perhaps 16?  I think Amiga would be
very competitive in the music industry if you could use it as a 16-bit
sampler as well as a sequencer, perhaps even syncing live video using
AmigaVision (it is rumored that AmigaVision will support MIDI in the
futuer.  Even now, all you would need is a sequencer that supports
ARexx).

Way back when someone made a comment to the effect of musicians would
not buy Amigas for the purpose of sampling sound because they could
just as easily buy a dedicated sampling keyboard or module.  I can
think of at least three reasons why they might Amigas with 16-bit
audio and actually use its capabilites:
1) It would probably cost less than most 16-bit samplers. (The upgrade
to 16-bit Paula, that is)
2) One less piece of equipment to set up/carry along/program etc...
3) One less piece of equipment to syncronize.

...Just a little fantasy to keep my mind off of things :)

-Scot Forbes

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much
better!" - Laurie Anderson

jk87377@korppi.tut.fi (Kouhia Juhana Krister) (07/16/90)

In article <5958@hub.ucsb.edu> psycho@mango.UUCP (Scot Kellan Forbes) writes:
>In article <1990Jul14.173215.25433@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (*** Jeff ****) writes:
>>a new 16-bit DSP that will be used inside Amigas
>
>If this sucker is actually on the drawing board (in the CAD
>program?) how about 8 voices?  Perhaps 16?  I think Amiga would be

Unpractical, it's better make it with two (stereo) and use direct
sampling from harddisk.
How many voices Amiga can handle through DMA?
And same time there is a program which handles MIDI data.

I like Amigas DA chip, because it read samples automatically.
(Without my program.)
Have somebody done direct sampling from harddisk yet?

Juhana Kouhia
jk87377@tut.fi

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO c/o Sascha Schnapka) (07/16/90)

In article <1990Jul15.215912.25094@funet.fi> jk87377@korppi.tut.fi (Kouhia Juhana Krister) writes:

>I like Amigas DA chip, because it read samples automatically.
>(Without my program.)
>Have somebody done direct sampling from harddisk yet?

Yes. Chris Weber has written a programm called LargeSoundPlayer which is able
to play very long IFF Sound Files directly from hard drive with up to 29 khz
sampling rate. The problem is sampling to hard disk. We made some 3.5 MB long
files using 4 MB fast ram. Sampling directly to hard disk requires a buffer
in the sampler itself, because it is impossible to sample and write to the
hard drive at the same time.

>Juhana Kouhia
>jk87377@tut.fi

/* -------------------------- SG (Simeon Graphics) ---------------------- */
/* Peter Simeon,      UUCP: |       //                             //     */
/*  visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */
/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */

jk87377@korppi.tut.fi (Kouhia Juhana Krister) (07/17/90)

In article <5119@ethz.UUCP> visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP (VISINFO c/o Peter Simeon) writes:

>Yes. Chris Weber has written a programm called LargeSoundPlayer which is able
>to play very long IFF Sound Files directly from hard drive with up to 29 khz
>sampling rate. The problem is sampling to hard disk. We made some 3.5 MB long
>files using 4 MB fast ram. Sampling directly to hard disk requires a buffer
>in the sampler itself, because it is impossible to sample and write to the
>hard drive at the same time.

How difficult it's make such kind of sampler (AD-converter) that uses
same technique like as Paula. I mean DMA technique.
Is such kind of card exist yet? (8 or 16 bits)

I asked a couple weeks ago if there is exists DAT interface card to
the Amiga. I think it needs only one dsp-prosessor (read Amigas
memory via DMA and send data to/from S/PDIF chips). Sony has a couple
chips which handle S/PDIF format: one for decoding and one for
encoding.
Is it possible read Amigas memory 2*2*44100 bytes per second via DMA?
(Stereo, 16 bit, and same time read data from harddisk.)

Of course, it's possible to connect S/PDIF connector to amplifier,
which has digital interface. Amplifier have AD/DA-converters, so,
there's no need to buy them separately. Amplifier costs less than
$1000 here, and in USA more less than here. Or am I right?

Juhana Kouhia
jk87377@tut.fi

vik@lynx.uucp (Vikram Sohal) (07/20/90)

>Have somebody done direct sampling from harddisk yet?

We have done it under LynxOS, our real-time UNIX-compatible OS running
on a (deep intake of breath) 386-AT clone. Using double buffering,
we are able to easily read or write at 176K per second from a SCSI disk and
write/read to a Analog I/O board for CD-quality sound. Using SCSI, we can
actually get up to a 500Khz sampling rate without the use of any special
chips. I imagine that an Amiga version of our software would run even faster
because of the tightly integrated DMA architecture of the Amiga bus.

Vic Sohal - vik@lynx.uucp
Lynx Real-Time Systems

nut@wet.UUCP (adam tilghman) (07/24/90)

>>Have somebody done direct sampling from harddisk yet?

  There are at least two direct-to-disk sample recorders for the Atari ST,
and seeing that the ST and the Amiga are not too different, I would assume
that it is entirely possible on the Amiga.  According to several reviews and
ads, these samplers are able to keep up with four-channel CD-quality sound
(math works that out to be around 176Khz).  But you had better have a
_REALLY BIG_ hard disk to do any type of large-scale sampling with that
beast (only 400 Seconds == 6.75 minutes on a 1Gb drive!)

   Adam
--
== Adam G. Tilghman - Trendy Quote: "Beware of Greeks bearing Trojans!" ==
============ Bang-Path UUCP: {uunet | ucbvax}!unisoft!wet!nut ============

jk87377@korppi.tut.fi (Kouhia Juhana Krister) (07/24/90)

In article <1383@wet.UUCP> nut@wet.UUCP (adam tilghman) writes:
>>>Have somebody done direct sampling from harddisk yet?
>>
>ads, these samplers are able to keep up with four-channel CD-quality sound
>(math works that out to be around 176Khz).  But you had better have a
>_REALLY BIG_ hard disk to do any type of large-scale sampling with that
>beast (only 400 Seconds == 6.75 minutes on a 1Gb drive!)

For some reason I don't like quantity "Gb" = "Gbits".

Stereo CD-quality sound:
2 bytes * 2 channels * 44100 samples * 10 mins * 60 seconds
= 101 MB

That's not a huge! And ten minutes is enough.
If piece is only 5 mins, there is still 5 mins for instruments and
singing voices.
Useful program for making a composition is Csound or Cmix.

Juhana Kouhia
jk87377@tut.fi

root@dialog.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) (07/26/90)

In article <1383@wet.UUCP> nut@wet.UUCP (adam tilghman) writes:
>>>Have somebody done direct sampling from harddisk yet?
>>

>  There are at least two direct-to-disk sample recorders for the Atari ST,
>and seeing that the ST and the Amiga are not too different, I would assume
>that it is entirely possible on the Amiga.  According to several reviews and
>ads, these samplers are able to keep up with four-channel CD-quality sound
>(math works that out to be around 176Khz).  But you had better have a
>_REALLY BIG_ hard disk to do any type of large-scale sampling with that
>beast (only 400 Seconds == 6.75 minutes on a 1Gb drive!)

This is probably the reason why CD's only play 4 Minutes, is  it?  ;-)
Uhmmm, perhaps you should re-check your math. Now  let' s  see ...  we
have 44 kHz sampling frequency, which leaves  us  with  44000  16- Bit
words every second. Double that, since we want to have  stereo  sound,
right? Ok, that makes up 176000 bytes per second,  or  10560000  bytes
per minute. That's almost exactly 10 MBytes  per  minute,  leaving  us
with about 600  MBytes  per  hour.  Does  this  value  strike  you  as
familiar? Surprise!!!! It's  the  average  capacity  of  the  standard
Compact Disc ...

--
Christian Motz                                root@dialog.stgt.sub.org

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/26/90)

In article <2261@dialog.stgt.sub.org> root@dialog.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) writes:

>>  There are at least two direct-to-disk sample recorders for the Atari ST,
>>and seeing that the ST and the Amiga are not too different, I would assume
>>that it is entirely possible on the Amiga.  According to several reviews and
>>ads, these samplers are able to keep up with four-channel CD-quality sound
>>(math works that out to be around 176Khz).  But you had better have a
>>_REALLY BIG_ hard disk to do any type of large-scale sampling with that
>>beast (only 400 Seconds == 6.75 minutes on a 1Gb drive!)

I'd be hard-pressed to name any, but I've heard rumors.  It should be
possible, though.  Certainly a harddrive (non-DMA :-) could store the
info fast enough.  Anyone have bandwidth/specs handy to confirm or deny
this?

>This is probably the reason why CD's only play 4 Minutes, is  it?  ;-)
>Uhmmm, perhaps you should re-check your math. Now  let' s  see ...  we
>have 44 kHz sampling frequency, which leaves  us  with  44000  16- Bit
>words every second. Double that, since we want to have  stereo  sound,
>right? Ok, that makes up 176000 bytes per second,  or  10560000  bytes
>per minute. That's almost exactly 10 MBytes  per  minute,  leaving  us
>with about 600  MBytes  per  hour.  Does  this  value  strike  you  as
>familiar? Surprise!!!! It's  the  average  capacity  of  the  standard
>Compact Disc ...

I'm not gonna go through the math again, but the CD audio standard
(Phillips/Sony) provides for 75 minutes of music at 16 bits and 44.1 kHz.
Of course, lots of tracking information and even graphics data are stored
on these disks, too...

However, these are printed, read-only disks.  Anyone know what the highest
storage acheived on WORM or other writeable CD currently is?

>--
>Christian Motz                                root@dialog.stgt.sub.org

..greg...

        ___  Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are not my own, but
AMIGA! ////  the property of some higher-up power, to which I am only a tool.
      ////     "Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the machine." -- Pink Floyd
___  //// "Reality is only a simulation, and it's still in beta testing." -- Me
\\\\////
 \\XX//            Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu