[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Bridgeboard and serial ports

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) (07/15/90)

I bought the "Dual serial port" for my XT Bridgeboard 4-5 months ago and I
wasn't able to make it work.  I brought it to an Amy dealer and he wasn't
able either.  Why are some serial boards won't run on the XT Bridgeboard?

I heard of a patch that allows using Amy's internal serial port for the
Bridgeboard uses.  I never saw it running, though, so I don't know if it's
true.  Is that kind of patch possible?  Does it really exists?  Does
anybody has it?  If you got it, it would be really kind of you to send it
to me.

Thanks

--
Sylvain
                                                                   __

alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP (ALEXANDER HAGEN) (07/25/90)

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) wrote:

> I bought the "Dual serial port" for my XT Bridgeboard 4-5 months ago
> and I wasn't able to make it work.

Too bad for the *Dual* serial port. The bridgeboard will support only
COM1 :-(. I have plugged in a par/ser card as well and it works fine.

> I heard of a patch that allows using Amy's internal serial port for the
> Bridgeboard uses.

Sorry Sylvain, this little program does not exist. Should Commodore ever
decide to create this program, they will have to supply a new bridgeboard
custom chip as well, since the CPU ports for the serial port are not
passed to the Amiga :-(.

Hope this helps,

       _     Alexander Hagen   | PRIV MSGS IN DUTCH, GERMAN OR ENGLISH
     _/_\__  Newtonstraat 20   |
 ````-o--o-  4532 KH Terneuzen | UUCP alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP
             The Netherlands   | Fido 2:285/403.2
------THE-FIRST-AND-ONLY-UNREGISTERED-AMIGA-BRIDGEBOARD-DEVELOPER------

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (07/25/90)

In article <425243@neabbs.UUCP> alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP (ALEXANDER HAGEN)
writes:

>> I bought the "Dual serial port" for my XT Bridgeboard 4-5 months ago
>> and I wasn't able to make it work.
>
>Too bad for the *Dual* serial port. The bridgeboard will support only
>COM1 :-(. I have plugged in a par/ser card as well and it works fine.

     Maybe it's different for the XT bridge board, but I bought a
multi-I/O board (two serial, one parallel, one game port) for my AT
bridge board and it works just fine.  I have COM1:, COM2:, and LPT2:
(I borrow the Amiga's parallel port for LPT1:).  I don't know whether
the game port works or not, and don't really care.  :-)

     Sylvain, do you have the necessary chips for COM2:?  Most of the
dual serial ports I've seen come partially populated for those people
who only need one port and want to save money.  To activate the
second port you might have to drop in a chip or two and move some
jumpers.

     Indeed, no program exists to let the bridge board use the Amiga's
serial port.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
My Amiga *is* a PC!  It says "Personal Computer" right on the box!

eddy@duteca (Eddy Olk) (07/26/90)

From article <425243@neabbs.UUCP>, by alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP (ALEXANDER HAGEN):
> Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) wrote:
>
>> I bought the "Dual serial port" for my XT Bridgeboard 4-5 months ago
>> and I wasn't able to make it work.
>
> Too bad for the *Dual* serial port. The bridgeboard will support only
> COM1 :-(. I have plugged in a par/ser card as well and it works fine.

It is true that the bridgeboard only supports COM1. However, it is possible
to use a second serial port (COM2):

1. COM2 must use IRQ4 instead of IRQ3 (which is used by the bridgeboard itself).
   Most serial cards will have jumpers to change this.
2. Since the BIOS doesn't recognize COM2, it must be manually added by changing
   same date in the BIOS data area. This is done by the next code fragment
   (use debug, your favorite assembler, or email me for the assembled program):

   MOV  AX,0040
   MOV  DS,AX
   MOV  AX,02F8
   MOV  [0002],AX
   MOV  AX,[0010]
   AND  AX,F1FF
   OR   AX,0400
   MOV  [0010],AX
   INT  20

I'm not sure if this 'workaround' works for all communication programs,
especially those using interrupts, but I've no problems using UFO.

>> I heard of a patch that allows using Amy's internal serial port for the
>> Bridgeboard uses.
>
> Sorry Sylvain, this little program does not exist. Should Commodore ever
> decide to create this program, they will have to supply a new bridgeboard
> custom chip as well, since the CPU ports for the serial port are not
> passed to the Amiga :-(.
>
> Hope this helps,

>        _     Alexander Hagen   | PRIV MSGS IN DUTCH, GERMAN OR ENGLISH
>      _/_\__  Newtonstraat 20   |
>  ````-o--o-  4532 KH Terneuzen | UUCP alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP
>              The Netherlands   | Fido 2:285/403.2
> ------THE-FIRST-AND-ONLY-UNREGISTERED-AMIGA-BRIDGEBOARD-DEVELOPER------

 Eddy Olk                         Delft University of Technology
 EMAIL: eddy@duteca.tudelft.nl    Department of Electrical Engineering
        EDDY@ET.TUDELFT.NL        Section Computer Architecture

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) (07/27/90)

>In article <2616@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>In article <425243@neabbs.UUCP> alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP (ALEXANDER HAGEN)
>writes:
>
>>> I bought the "Dual serial port" for my XT Bridgeboard 4-5 months ago
>>> and I wasn't able to make it work.
>>
>>Too bad for the *Dual* serial port. The bridgeboard will support only
>>COM1 :-(. I have plugged in a par/ser card as well and it works fine.
>
>     Maybe it's different for the XT bridge board, but I bought a
>multi-I/O board (two serial, one parallel, one game port) for my AT
>bridge board and it works just fine.  I have COM1:, COM2:, and LPT2:
>(I borrow the Amiga's parallel port for LPT1:).  I don't know whether
>the game port works or not, and don't really care.  :-)
>
>     Sylvain, do you have the necessary chips for COM2:?  Most of the
>dual serial ports I've seen come partially populated for those people
>who only need one port and want to save money.  To activate the
>second port you might have to drop in a chip or two and move some
>jumpers.

The dual serial port I bought was in fact set up for COM1: only.  But that
was just what I wanted, and it didn't work.

>     Indeed, no program exists to let the bridge board use the Amiga's
>serial port.

Thanks for the info

--
Sylvain