[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 256x4 DRAMs

apuzzo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (APUZZO ALFONSO A) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul26.211459.23627@uunet!unhd> ncf@unhd.UUCP (Nick C Fitanides) writes:
>chips?  I thought the GVP SCSI controller/8 Meg. max. memory board took both,
>but I've been told recently that this was not true.

Yup, they take only 1Mx8 SIMMs

I got a GVP SCSI/8 today and plugged it into my Quantum Q40, everything works
fine except GVP seems to have allowed some _old_ ROM versions out the door,
mine doesn't have autoboot EEPROMS, and if there is anything connected to the
serial port (ie a modem), the board tries to send debugging info or other such
junk to it at boot time, this causes an infinite boot-crash-boot loop that
only ends when you turn the modem off.  I'm pleased with the performance so
far, but you can bet GVP is going to get a call Monday morning :-)

If I can break even doing it, I will sell my 8-Up w/ 2Megs and put 2Megs of
SIMMs on the GVP Board, does anybody out in netland want to pay around $300
for an 8-up board? :-)

--> Tony <--

BTW: Does anybody have Dperf2 ratings of the GVP/Q40 combo?  I get a max of
     287K/sec reads, this seems kinda slow to me, maybe GVP's install software
     told my Quantum to use a bad interleave???
*
* Be a non-conformist like me and don't use a .sig at all.
*