[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 ROMS Question

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (07/28/90)

When the A3000 gets final ROMS, will it still be to our advantage
speed wise to load the ROM image into RAM?  First of all, BURST mode
from the ROMS is not possible, so some speed increase for people with
SCRAMS there, but other than that will the REAL ROMS be 32 bit, 2 wait
states just like the normal RAM?  OR will they be something less that this.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

In article <3728@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>When the A3000 gets final ROMS, will it still be to our advantage
>speed wise to load the ROM image into RAM?  First of all, BURST mode
>from the ROMS is not possible, so some speed increase for people with
>SCRAMS there, but other than that will the REAL ROMS be 32 bit, 2 wait
>states just like the normal RAM?  OR will they be something less that this.

	It will probably be worthwhile.  There are jumpers for rom speed on
the board, but few if any roms are as fast as 80ns ram, I think.  As with
the 2500, it will be a speed/ram tradeoff.  People with 1M fast probably won't,
people with 2 or 4M fast may well.

	The ROM sockets are for 32 bit (2 x 16) wide roms.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"