[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] PrepHD & 2091

In <27534@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>Help!!
>
>I ran:
>> prodprep device scsi.device unit 5
>on my 1.5 meg Quantum (device 5). Now HDTools thinks it is a bootable 40
>Meg Quantum & things have just gone downhill from there...
>
>Now Format can't even find the drive to try & format it.
>
>Question:
>How in the world do I get my 105 Meg Quantum back?
>
>This all started because about every time I copied a directory from the
>40 Meg Quantum to the 105 Meg, the copy locked up & I had to reboot,
>etc.
>
>Multiple tries at reformatting the 105 Meg accomplished nothing.  I
>figured that if I prepped it, things would look up. Guess I was wrong.

The trouble is in what 'prodprep' does, I believe. I ran into the same thing,
and though I can't remember what all I did to get out of it, I DO remember that
it was a long and frustrating process, ending in my doing something that was
quite simple and basic. Problems had to do with the drive it actually ran on
(SCSI address 6), and the name of the partitions on it.

I think your best bet is to do something like this:

1. remove the Q40 from the system.
2. run HDToolbox from floppy, preferably from the boot floppy.
   a. Use the 'read info from drive' option to get the appropriate data
   b. make sure the name of the drive is something different from the Q40
3. add the Q40 back into the system.

Good luck.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/30/90)

Help!!

I ran:
> prodprep device scsi.device unit 5
on my 1.5 meg Quantum (device 5). Now HDTools thinks it is a bootable 40
Meg Quantum & things have just gone downhill from there...

Now Format can't even find the drive to try & format it.

Question:
How in the world do I get my 105 Meg Quantum back?

This all started because about every time I copied a directory from the
40 Meg Quantum to the 105 Meg, the copy locked up & I had to reboot,
etc.

Multiple tries at reformatting the 105 Meg accomplished nothing.  I
figured that if I prepped it, things would look up. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks Much,

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/31/90)

In article <27534@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:

>Help!!
>
>I ran:
>> prodprep device scsi.device unit 5
>on my 1.5 meg Quantum (device 5). Now HDTools thinks it is a bootable 40
>Meg Quantum & things have just gone downhill from there...

Please excuse. I got things straightened out. Very confusing, but things are
better now.

Apparently HDtoolbox gets its info from the drives themselves while
Drive Definitions uses the saved table. Anyway, I was stuck using HDToolBox,
since it refused to accept that the 105 Meg was anything but a 40 MEg.
Luckily, Drive Definitions allowed me to change the drive type after I had
read it from the drive. Then I managed to get it repartitioned.

When leaving the partitioning activity, it told me that all info in
DH0:  would be destroyed. Well... Dh0: is the 40 Meg & Qdh0: is the 105
Meg, so I aborted. Found no way to assure me that the 40 Meg would be
destroyed, so I ended up unplugged the SCSI cable to the 40 Meg it
before exiting partitioning.

After a few other such incidents, I managed to get QDH0: up and formatted
correctly.

Strange.

Thanks anyway,

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/31/90)

In article <27534@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>on my 1.5 meg Quantum (device 5).
       ^^^
Wow!  I guess Quantum has decided to make really _small_ HD's now too! :-)

>Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
>Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
>UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

greg...

        _ _  Disclaimer:  "What I _really_ meant was..."
AMIGA! ////
      ////   "Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my
_ _  //// favorite axe." --Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's The Wall, One of My Turns
\\\\////
 \\XX//           Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

In article <27535@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <27534@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>>I ran:
>>> prodprep device scsi.device unit 5
>>on my 1.5 meg Quantum (device 5). Now HDTools thinks it is a bootable 40
>>Meg Quantum & things have just gone downhill from there...

>Apparently HDtoolbox gets its info from the drives themselves while
>Drive Definitions uses the saved table. Anyway, I was stuck using HDToolBox,
>since it refused to accept that the 105 Meg was anything but a 40 MEg.

	The problem was that you ran prodprep on it, which is set up to only
handle 40Meg quantums.  It stored that information on the drive.

>Luckily, Drive Definitions allowed me to change the drive type after I had
>read it from the drive. Then I managed to get it repartitioned.

	Yes, that's how you're supposed to handle installing new drives.

>When leaving the partitioning activity, it told me that all info in
>DH0:  would be destroyed. Well... Dh0: is the 40 Meg & Qdh0: is the 105
>Meg, so I aborted. Found no way to assure me that the 40 Meg would be
>destroyed, so I ended up unplugged the SCSI cable to the 40 Meg it
>before exiting partitioning.

	You had prodpreped the other drive, which gave the default partition
name to it.  Selecting a new drive type of course meant any information of
the DH0 partition on the Q105 would be lost (most people name their partitions
different names).  It would not have touched your other drive, it was just
warning you than any information on the Q105 DH0: partition would be lost.

>After a few other such incidents, I managed to get QDH0: up and formatted
>correctly.

	Glad it worked out.  The manual has a section on how to add new drives
that should have been sufficient to get you through this.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

In article <13529@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	Glad it worked out.  The manual has a section on how to add new drives
>that should have been sufficient to get you through this.

Thanks for the info.

I had followed the manual section when the drive was first installed a
couple of months ago. I have re-installed the drive 5 times since then
because of the failures which destroyed all access to the drive
when the O.S. locked up (I have reformatted it about 12 times). This
situation left the drive light on continuously and any access to either
hard drive caused the machine to reboot (no Guru - just a reboot).
I reload all system software almost every time (even tried from my other
system originals).

I was looking for some other way to solve my problem since the standard
method described in the manual didn't fix anything.  I had located two
files which, when read, would cause this activity every time I tried to
access them. I would have loved to have copied them so you guys could
take a look at them, but...

Trying to copy the damaged file to a partition on my other hard disk
also trashes that partition. Validate runs, but to no avail.

This problem only originates when copying files from one hard disk
to the other and only happens on the a2500/30/A2091. I have almost the
identical configuration on my a2500/20/2090a and it has never
experienced this problem.

I'm beginning to think it is an 2091 problem and not a hard disk
problem.

To change the subject, Is there any fix to get the XT Bridgeboard
to work with the A2500/30 without using Arp's Loadlib?