[net.space] Swimming in air, etc

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:JOSH@RUTGERS.ARPA (05/14/85)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

"Swimming" in air is no different from swimming underwater, except that
air is 800 or so times less dense than water, so you obtain 800 times
less impetus from a given stroke.  Of course the stroke is easier to
make, but not 800 times so.
 I have found (by experiment) that one can obtain 5 or so pounds of
thrust in air using a large (12") model airplane propellor and an
electric motor small enough to hold in one hand (from a weed trimmer,
if you're interested).  An average person could get 1 f/s^2 out of
this, so only a few seconds of use would be needed for any one movement.
Thus I would expect that a unit with fold-up prop, rare-earth motor,
and nicads could be built to last a normal day's use without recharging
and be a conveniently clip-on-belt sized item.

--JoSH
-------

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/16/85)

In article <1783@mordor.UUCP> JOSH@RUTGERS.ARPA writes:
>Thus I would expect that a unit with fold-up prop, rare-earth motor,
>and nicads could be built to last a normal day's use without recharging
>and be a conveniently clip-on-belt sized item.

wouldn't it be easier for all concerned if they had a small air compressor
aboard to refill small compressed air cans which are then kept on
a handy belt or in a pocket?

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (05/21/85)

[       ]
Still no nibbles on the $1.99 dart gun eh? Oh well ...