[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] PC/XT board for A500?

mkiteam@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (E.Japel) (07/29/90)

In the August '90 issue of AMiga World, I saw an article for a
card that utilizes the ram expansion slot under the A500 to give
it the capability to run DOS software.  It is supposed to have a
speed of 8MHZ.  It also gives the Amiga the 512K ram expansion, so
the expansion isn't lost.  The ad (as most ads do) sounds wonderful,
but I'll wait to see what comes of it first (like an AT version).
The company is called Pulsar, and the board is 'Power PC Board'.

Standard disclamers 'I do not work or every have worked for this company...'

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (07/31/90)

I saw this card the other day at my local Amiga dealer here in
Brussels.  It is a Dutch product and appears simply wonderful.  The
setup software is really amazing in that you can configure the board
to use the mouse, serial port, parallel port, etc.  Really a good
example of how to do it.  The board lives happily in the amiga and
uses a window on the 500 workbench screen.  I was very impressed with
the performance (uses a NEC V20) and the flexibility.  I would buy one
for my 2000 if/when it comes out.  You really should see the thing
demoed if you think you want something like this.  I have seen lots of
hype before but this thing appears to be the real thing.
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (08/02/90)

In article <1498@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I saw this card the other day at my local Amiga dealer here in
>Brussels.  It is a Dutch product and appears simply wonderful.  The
>setup software is really amazing in that you can configure the board
>to use the mouse, serial port, parallel port, etc.  Really a good
>example of how to do it.  The board lives happily in the amiga and
>uses a window on the 500 workbench screen.  I was very impressed with
 ^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>the performance (uses a NEC V20) and the flexibility.  I would buy one
>for my 2000 if/when it comes out.  You really should see the thing
>demoed if you think you want something like this.  I have seen lots of
>hype before but this thing appears to be the real thing.

Hmmm... I thought I had seen something to the effect that you either run
in Amiga mode or in PC mode.  Does this board really run underneath
AmigaDOS?  If it does, it is certainly worth looking at!

[Extra .signature removed for bandwith's sake. :-) ]
>--
>Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
>Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
>Brussels Belgium     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim

...especially considering that it is not priced much more than an A2088 -- a
nice change for A500 peripherals...

greg...

        _ _  Disclaimer:  "What I _really_ meant was..."
AMIGA! ////
      ////   "Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my
_ _  //// favorite axe." --Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's The Wall, One of My Turns
\\\\////
 \\XX//           Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu