[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCSI protocol and chips...

joost@neabbs.UUCP (JOOST BOERHOUT) (08/01/90)

     Hi netters,

     I want to design my own SCSI interface (hardware and software) for
     the Amiga market.  Although I have  a some  information about SCSI
     I'd like to have the full  documentation found  in the ANSI X3T9.2
     specs. Does anyone know how I can obtain these ?

     Futhermore, I took  a  serious  look at the Am5380 SCSI controller
     from   Advanced  Micro  Devices.  Does  SCSI  really  have  to  be
     implemented that ugly ?? I bet someone knows a better chip, please
     let me know.

     - joost -

garyf@wiis.wang.com (Gary Field) (08/03/90)

joost@neabbs.UUCP (JOOST BOERHOUT) writes:

>     Hi netters,
>     I want to design my own SCSI interface (hardware and software) for
>     the Amiga market.  Although I have  a some  information about SCSI
>     I'd like to have the full  documentation found  in the ANSI X3T9.2
>     specs. Does anyone know how I can obtain these ?
>     Futhermore, I took  a  serious  look at the Am5380 SCSI controller
>     from   Advanced  Micro  Devices.  Does  SCSI  really  have  to  be
>     implemented that ugly ?? I bet someone knows a better chip, please
>     let me know.
>     - joost -

I don't have the info handy but I know where you can find out.
Call the Common Access Method / SCSI BBS at (316) 636-8700. There is
a message on there that tells how to obtain paper copies of the various
SCSI specs.
As for the selection of a SCSI controller I'd probably choose the NCR 53C94.
Performance is quite high and seems pretty bug free. Whatever you do, do
NOT use a WD 33C93! That chip seems great until you start handling all
the error conditions. The 5380 is strictly a low cost device that is OK
for low performance devices, but will not do a nice winchester justice. It
requires too much software intervention for handling each bus phase.
Now that I've told you all this, I must ask, do you really want to design
yet another SCSI controller? There must be > 10 on the market already!
If you do, do me a favor and adhere to the new ANSI CAM/SIM spec for
the driver interface, this will allow others (like me) to add their
own drivers for oddball devices without having to rewrite everything
from scratch.

GOOD LUCK!

/*===========================================================================
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
============================================================================*/

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (08/03/90)

In article <428644@neabbs.UUCP| joost@neabbs.UUCP (JOOST BOERHOUT) writes:
|     Futhermore, I took  a  serious  look at the Am5380 SCSI controller
|     from   Advanced  Micro  Devices.  Does  SCSI  really  have  to  be
|     implemented that ugly ?? I bet someone knows a better chip, please
|     let me know.

There has been some favourable comments on a new NCR SCSI chip in
comp.periphs.scsi (or whatever it's called), it would probably be
worth your while to post/read that group.
--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

[Diamanda Galas] Makes Nina Hagen look like Kylie Minogue.
            - katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (08/03/90)

In article <254@mtiame.oz> jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:
>In article <428644@neabbs.UUCP| joost@neabbs.UUCP (JOOST BOERHOUT) writes:
>|     Futhermore, I took  a  serious  look at the Am5380 SCSI controller
>|     from   Advanced  Micro  Devices.  Does  SCSI  really  have  to  be
>|     implemented that ugly ?? I bet someone knows a better chip, please
>|     let me know.
>
>There has been some favourable comments on a new NCR SCSI chip in
>comp.periphs.scsi (or whatever it's called), it would probably be
>worth your while to post/read that group.
>--

         A few months ago a file appeared on some BBS's describing someone
elses implementation of a SCSI controller for Ami. It was called AmScsi.arc.
It has a text description and a schematic. The implementation was quite
simple & (I believe) used a National Semiconductor part. If you can't find
it & are interested I will send it on to ABF20 (or whatever its called) the
replacement for Xanth. I would send it to you via mail but have difficulty
getting mail to UUCP sites to make it without bouncing.
	If you want the written specs on SCSI they are available as
ANSI X3.131-1986 from the American National Standard for Information Systems,
1430 Broadway, New York, NY, 10018.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|