[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2 Hard Drives

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/02/90)

I just bought a second hard drive for my Amiga2000/HD system.  It's
a Quantum 105S, so there's no compatibility problem with my 2091
controller.

The problem is where to put it in the case?  I already have both 3.5"
bays filled, and the lower bay filled with a 3rd floppy, and my
40 meg hard drive is mounted on the 2091.  I was told you could buy
a simple frame to mount the drive on but I can't find one.  Do they
exist?

Also, one dealer I talked to thought I might be overloading the
power supply.  I had been led to believe the 2000's power supply
was capable of handling this much equipment, but could someone
please warn me if I'm wrong??   :-)

               Thanks!  Feel free to post here or e-mail, your choice

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

jamesb@bushido.uucp (Jim Harvey) (08/03/90)

In article <90213.182412JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I just bought a second hard drive for my Amiga2000/HD system.  It's
>a Quantum 105S, so there's no compatibility problem with my 2091
>controller.
>
>The problem is where to put it in the case?  I already have both 3.5"
>bays filled, and the lower bay filled with a 3rd floppy, and my
>40 meg hard drive is mounted on the 2091.  I was told you could buy
>a simple frame to mount the drive on but I can't find one.  Do they
>exist?

I have a B2000 (rev 4.3 board) and have a pair of MiniScribe 8425 drives mounted
inside the machine.  I just made up a couple of aluminum brackets and bolted
the drives vertically in the space where the 2630 card would go if I could
afford one.  One bracket bolts to the front panel, the other to the steel
strip that covers the expansion slot just to the rear of the Coprocessor slot.

>Also, one dealer I talked to thought I might be overloading the
>power supply.  I had been led to believe the 2000's power supply
>was capable of handling this much equipment, but could someone
>please warn me if I'm wrong??   :-)

I have the two MiniScribe hard drives, two 3 1/2 inch floppys, 2090 controller
8UP card with four megs (DIP), bridgeboard with 5 1/4 drive, hard drive
controller, 128K expansion card, and a 2400 baud modem on the bridgeboard side
for about a year now with no problems (well, the hard drives refuse to boot up
sometimes but I think that's a problem on the 2090 card only happens after
running games).

>                                                            Kurt
>--
>|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
>|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
>|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

-------
Jim Harvey                      |
Michigan Bell Telephone Co.     |  "Ask not for whom the Bell Tolls and you
29777 Telegraph  Rm 3352        |   will only pay station to station rates."

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (08/03/90)

>In article <90213.182412JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>I just bought a second hard drive for my Amiga2000/HD system.....
>>
>>The problem is where to put it in the case?  I already have both 3.5"
>>bays filled, and the lower bay filled with a 3rd floppy, and my
>>40 meg hard drive is mounted on the 2091.  I was told you could buy
>>a simple frame to mount the drive on but I can't find one.  Do they
>>exist?
>>
>>Also, one dealer I talked to thought I might be overloading the
>>power supply.  I had been led to believe the 2000's power supply
>>was capable of handling this much equipment, but could someone
>>please warn me if I'm wrong??   :-)

   I did much the same thing that you want to do, but it was to add an
additional hard disk for my AT bridgeboard. I had a Omti controller
and a Miniscribe 8425F (left over from my old A1000 & a Palomax hard
drive kit). I cut a small rectangular sheet of aluminum
to be just big enough to mount the hard disk onto it along with the controller
card & made my own hard card for Ami. Works great. There is plenty of power
in the supply as long as you don't get a drive that is power hungry on startup.
Some of the drives will take several amps on startup from the +12V supply.
Most of the 3 1/2" drives take less than an amp.

   If you are willing to sacrifice a slot on your bus you can make a simple
mounting card that plugs in to one of the slots just for support & holds the
hard disk. Find a dealer that sells blank boards for the IBM. You will need
a board and the rear bracket. You can then mount the drive on the board by
drilling a few holes on the board and bolting the drive on the board. The
board can mount in any of the XT slots in AMI (no connections to the bus are
used, it is simply a mounting location) and the rear bracket gives the added
stabilizing support that you will need. Then a short SCSI cable & power cable
& your set. IBM dealers sell special Y connectors for disk power cables that
will allow you to T off of the present power cable to the internal hard drive.

   Hope this helps somewhat.
					Terry

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: Re: 2 Hard Drives
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|