[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Thanks for ALL your help with my A-Max problem!

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (08/02/90)

Well, thanks to YOU folks my A-Max now works fine (except for when I
plug in a drive off of the daisy chain connector on the back, but I can
LIVE with that, as long as the Mac drive works!)  To recap, my stoopid
A-Max refused to recognize ANY good Mac disk (wanted to format them all)
and the stoopid(tm) manual said to check the CIA chip (anybody for an FBI
chip? ;-)) which I had NOT a clue about, weell, it turns out that the
CIA's are the 8520's (gee thanks, I really would have gotten that without
help, arrrgh!) and so after spending an uneventful 6hrs+ taking apart my
setup, dismantling Amy, swapping out the 8520's I NOW have a working A-Max
and even know which chip controls the D.Drives on the A1000 (or at least
which one A-Max depends upon for its Mac drive control)  Thanks again to
all who responded (and how long do you people think I should wait for my
upgrade notice (I am in Indiana) to arrive, I see 'a lot' of people posting
that they have already gotten notice, should I give it a couple of weeks!?
Or call NOW and see whats up?) I really appreciated the help!

Now for a completely DIFFERENT question, I remember seeing (a LONG time ago)
somebody posting that Supra made SOME SCSI controller that worked in a
Zorro I form factor slot (ASDG mini Rack C I believe) anybody KNOW which one
it is?  are YOU that person (reading this of course) do you KNOW that person,
if so, POST or E-Mail me, cuz I have this nifty(tm) PAL expansion box with
3 slots free (Zorro I obviously) that I would just love to stuff a SCSI contr-
oller & drive into...  (for running Unix eventually, and JUST MAYBE to partition
out for A-Max II to use)

Thanks again, and I *hope* to hear from SOMEONE soon on my new dilemma(s)

-dcp

*----///-David C.Powell--:ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------*
|\\\///                  :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor |
| \///\miga 1000 evolves to the /\miga 3000, the dream continues... -me  |
|"Humanity does seem to have beer pretty well nailed down, but computers,|
*-forget it.  They're just starting to get usable..." -Dave Haynie-------*

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/04/90)

In article <11594@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
>Now for a completely DIFFERENT question, I remember seeing (a LONG time ago)
>somebody posting that Supra made SOME SCSI controller that worked in a
>Zorro I form factor slot (ASDG mini Rack C I believe) anybody KNOW which one
>it is?  are YOU that person (reading this of course) do you KNOW that person,
>if so, POST or E-Mail me, cuz I have this nifty(tm) PAL expansion box with
>3 slots free (Zorro I obviously) that I would just love to stuff a SCSI contr-
>oller & drive into...  (for running Unix eventually, and JUST MAYBE to partition
>out for A-Max II to use)

	Well, I don't know who it was that mentioned that before, but the Supra
WordSync controller should work just fine in a Zorro I box. The WordSync is a
half card for Zorro II and the major change between Zorro I and Zorro II was in
the form factor.

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes