[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 RAM upgrade question

stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) (07/31/90)

Hi there!
Is it possible to upgrade the A3000 to 4MB Fast-RAM with 1Mx4 DIP(!!) chips,
which replace the existing 256Kx4 DIP chips in the first bank?

	Stefan

Mail	: Stefan Becker, Holsteinstrasse 9, 5100 Aachen, West Germany +-------+
Phone	: +49-241-505705	FIDO: 2:242/7.6	    +-----------------+	  Call|
InterNet: stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de |Place free for ad's  now!|
UUCP	: ..mcvax!unido!rwthinf!cip-s02!stefanb	    +-------------------------+

In article <3223@rwthinf.UUCP> stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) writes:

>Is it possible to upgrade the A3000 to 4MB Fast-RAM with 1Mx4 DIP(!!) chips,
>which replace the existing 256Kx4 DIP chips in the first bank?

Two problems here.  First of all, I'm not certain that the DIP bank was
wired for the extra address line necessary for the 1Mx4 parts, though there
is a good chance it was.  The second problem is the one to overcome -- find
a source of 1Mx4 DIPs in 0.300" packages.  At least back when we had to make
this kind of decision, only one company had announced a 1Mx4 DIP part, at it
came in a 0.400" package, which of course isn't physically compatible with
the thinner DIPs we're using, even if the pinout is the same.  ZIPs aren't a
problem, since they grow vertically rather than horizontally.  Anyway, if
1Mx4 0.300" DIPs start to show up, I can easily check to see about whether
they work in the A3000's Fast-Bus DIP sockets.

>Mail	: Stefan Becker, Holsteinstrasse 9, 5100 Aachen, West Germany +-------+

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!