[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] ZIP installation/testing

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (08/04/90)

Hello hardware friends.  I am asking hypothetical questions about installing
ZIPs by onesself.

First, here are the reasons I am considering this:
1)  ZIPs from any dealer are going to cost about $16 apiece, installed.
2)  I can and have soldered static sensitive equipment on my own in the past.
3)  I already voided my 2500/30 warranty (I think) by (successfully)
	installing the 2 meg of ram in my 2091 board, before I knew
	the warranty was extended to 1 year.  The clincher is this:
4)  Krueger Co in Tempe AZ sells unconditionally guaranteed ZIPs
	(refurbished) for $5.75/chip.  That's $92 vs. $256!

My questions are:  should I try to find sockets to install the RAM into?
I hear they are really hard to find, but some people have found them and
had no problems with them.  Most people have given up.

Second, once the chips are installed, how do I test them?  I don't think the
2500/30 software came with a test program.  (I don't think there was any
2500/30 software, now that I think about it.)  Has anyone written such a
tester? If not, any ideas on how I would go about it?  Would the Starboard
software I have from my 1000 days work?

Third, I assume the standard 15 watt grounded iron is the way to go, right?
Finally, any "veterans" have any advice?  (this includes you, Dave 8^)

thanks, once again,
dylan
dylan@cs.washington.edu

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (08/07/90)

In article <12713@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>Hello hardware friends.  I am asking hypothetical questions about installing
>ZIPs by onesself.
>
>First, here are the reasons I am considering this:
>4)  Krueger Co in Tempe AZ sells unconditionally guaranteed ZIPs
>	(refurbished) for $5.75/chip.  That's $92 vs. $256!

I just got my NEC D424256V-10's from Insight Electronics (Dallas) for
about $7.50 new (don't have the actual price handy).

>My questions are:  should I try to find sockets to install the RAM into?
>I hear they are really hard to find, but some people have found them and
>had no problems with them.  Most people have given up.

AMP makes them. My receipt shows:
Part # 2 3820073 - 20C DIPLOMATE Z
      (^ Not sure if this was part of it or not)

They were recommended to me & they worked quite nicely.

>Second, once the chips are installed, how do I test them?  I don't think the
Don't know yet. Will try to determine if the A590 Ram Test will apply.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent