[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] scsi to scsi

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (07/25/90)

I've somewhere, that it would bge possible, to connect to amigas
with two scsi-controllers. one of them should be the master the other
the slave. now my question, how can I do that? what kind of software
I need and can this be done with an a3000 and a gvp scsi controller?
How fast would this be? like a harddisk?

cu josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/30/90)

In article <josef.100623@augs.ccs.imp.com>, josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) writes:
> I've somewhere, that it would bge possible, to connect to amigas
> with two scsi-controllers. one of them should be the master the other
> the slave. now my question, how can I do that? what kind of software
> I need and can this be done with an a3000 and a gvp scsi controller?
> How fast would this be? like a harddisk?
>
> cu josef

Well, I dunno about the gory details of either controller, but most Amiga
controllers don't want to be the SCSI target, just the initiator (well,
except for those that fully support reselection).  The ability to be a
target is generally inherent in the SCSI chips used, but the firmware (read
"driver") usually doesn't want to be the target.  You may need to write
special driver code, and you'll have to reset the SCSI ID on one of the
controllers, since most of them are set to SCSI ID 7.  The HardFrame comes
set at 7, but it's jumper selectable.  I dunno about the GVP or 3000.

> --
> <  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
> <  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >
> <  CH - 4852 Rothrist      |                                           >
> <  Switzerland             |         AUGS:    as SYSOP (acc #1)        >
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (08/09/90)

>In article <3756@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>In article <josef.100623@augs.ccs.imp.com>, josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) writes:
>> I've somewhere, that it would bge possible, to connect to amigas
>> with two scsi-controllers. one of them should be the master the other
>> the slave. now my question, how can I do that? what kind of software
>> I need and can this be done with an a3000 and a gvp scsi controller?
>> How fast would this be? like a harddisk?
>

>Well, I dunno about the gory details of either controller, but most Amiga
>controllers don't want to be the SCSI target, just the initiator (well,
>except for those that fully support reselection).  The ability to be a
>target is generally inherent in the SCSI chips used, but the firmware (read
>"driver") usually doesn't want to be the target.  You may need to write
>special driver code, and you'll have to reset the SCSI ID on one of the
>controllers, since most of them are set to SCSI ID 7.  The HardFrame comes
>set at 7, but it's jumper selectable.  I dunno about the GVP or 3000.

since I havn't the time to rewrite any drivers, I would ask if there is
someone out there who has done this. maybe this *is* done by commodore
for its driver in the A3000, maybe GVP? are here some peoples from GVP,
wich can say something to this?

>[- O] Rick Stevens
>  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
>  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)
>
>"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
>                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

thanks, cu josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >
<  CH - 4852 Rothrist      |         CBMNET:  cbmswi!augs1!jegloff     >
<  Switzerland             |         AUGS:    as SYSOP (acc #1)        >