[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Some questions

root@spader.UUCP (Admin) (07/22/90)

Hello net!

I have a few questions:

	- Will FatterAgnus give me non-interlaced video with 640x480(412) ?
	- Is AmigaDos 2.0 released ?
	- Will my GVP Impact A500 work with AmigaDos 2.0 ?

(I haven't had time to read news for a while :-)

Please E-Mail answers to:

	lhc@spader.UUCP

--LH

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/24/90)

In article <428@spader.UUCP> root@spader.UUCP (Admin) writes:
>	- Will FatterAgnus give me non-interlaced video with 640x480(412) ?

No, you need the ECS "Denise" to get the productivity modes. The 1Meg
Agnus gives you more chip ram and bigger blits. (Oh and it is required
by the new denise)

>	- Is AmigaDos 2.0 released ?

For the 3000, yes. For the other models, No. Commodore says "September for
the 2000", no word on when for the 500.

>	- Will my GVP Impact A500 work with AmigaDos 2.0 ?

Probably, but nothing in life is certain. If you have a 500, 2.0 may be
a bit far off in the future.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (07/29/90)

In article <139323@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <428@spader.UUCP> root@spader.UUCP (Admin) writes:
>>	- Is AmigaDos 2.0 released ?

>For the 3000, yes. For the other models, No. Commodore says "September for
>the 2000", no word on when for the 500.
[...]
>Probably, but nothing in life is certain. If you have a 500, 2.0 may be
>a bit far off in the future.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to produce different
upgrade packages for the 500 and 2000... ASSUMING they will try.  I had
a discussion about this with someone at Commodore here a while back (I
forget who by now) and they said, in the understandable-but-nevertheless
-annoying bet-hedging manner that they probably couldn't make machine-
specific upgrades.  What I think is really the case is that the marketing
department just didn't want to talk about 500s, but that September will
be the date for the upgrade packages for all Amigas <> 1000...

I mean, after all, the 500 and 2000 are going to use the same ROMs, same
Denise, same software... and I'd guess the Agnus would be sold separately
due to the fact that there are many Amigas which already have it and many
which don't.  And so far as I have been told, even if they TRIED, there is
no reliable way to tell a 500 from a 2000 from software.

Comments?  Speculation?  Hints?  Gossip?  Recipes?  News?  Tall tales?
Second opinions?  Deep dark secrets?  Quotes?  Pet peeves?  Surrender terms?
Confessions?  Diatribes?  Jokes?  Greetings?  Declarations of Independance?

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/30/90)

In article <1705@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>In article <139323@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>In article <428@spader.UUCP> root@spader.UUCP (Admin) writes:
>>[...]
>>>	- Is AmigaDos 2.0 released ?
>>Probably, but nothing in life is certain. If you have a 500, 2.0 may be
>>a bit far off in the future.
>
>I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to produce different
>upgrade packages for the 500 and 2000... ASSUMING they will try.  I had
>a discussion about this with someone at Commodore here a while back (I
>forget who by now) and they said, in the understandable-but-nevertheless
>-annoying bet-hedging manner that they probably couldn't make machine-
>specific upgrades.  What I think is really the case is that the marketing
>department just didn't want to talk about 500s, but that September will
>be the date for the upgrade packages for all Amigas <> 1000...

I'm sure this is going to start alot of flames, arguments, etc., but I've
heard that there _will_ _not_ be and _official_ A500 upgrade.

--Now before you choke, Ben (above) is correct that you could use the same
kit for the 2000.  If CBM doesn't package the ECS Agnus (since it's in most
2000's), you should still be able to get it.

Also, I've heard that the CDTV will come with 1.3 and no upgrade program.

>.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>
>
>--
>.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
>|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
>|Amiga UUCP node domain: bscott@vila.denver.co.us Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
>|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
>|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |
>`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Anyway, I find no reason that 500 owners won't be able to upgrade to 2.0 and
the ECS when 2000 owners do.  (Unless CBM puts some nasty hardware detection
junk into it.)

Anyone at CBM care to acknowledge/deny this?  If this is true, then what is
CBM's reasoning behind this?  With Commodore going mass-market with the A500,
doesn't it make sense not to seal its fate with an older OS?

There's already one orphanned Amiga, guys.  Don't destroy the reputation
the Amiga is finally getting as a well-supported machine!

DISCLAIMER:  This is all based on hearsay, and I am basically looking for
confirmation or denial of the above.

..greg...

        ___  Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are not my own, but
AMIGA! ////  the property of some higher-up power, to which I am only a tool.
      ////     "Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the machine." -- Pink Floyd
___  //// "Reality is only a simulation, and it's still in beta testing." -- Me
\\\\////
 \\XX//            Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

In article <34635@ut-emx.UUCP> greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>I'm sure this is going to start alot of flames, arguments, etc., but I've
>heard that there _will_ _not_ be and _official_ A500 upgrade.

	Commodore has made no such statement that I am aware of personally.

>Anyway, I find no reason that 500 owners won't be able to upgrade to 2.0 and
>the ECS when 2000 owners do.  (Unless CBM puts some nasty hardware detection
>junk into it.)

	The hardware required to upgrade the rom would essentially be the same,
with the exception that some A500's have a couple of pins wired wrong, and it
would require a pin-swapping socket/daughterboard.  ECS inclusion or not is
an issue for the marketing guys.

>Anyone at CBM care to acknowledge/deny this?  If this is true, then what is
>CBM's reasoning behind this?  With Commodore going mass-market with the A500,
>doesn't it make sense not to seal its fate with an older OS?

	I can't speak on that officially - I'm not part of the US sales
company, and even if I was it would be incorrect for me to say.  All I will
say personally is that the new marketing/sales guys are smart guys, and are
unlikely to make any major mistakes, in my personal opinion.

	My advice would be to calm down, stop playing "my rumor is worse than
yours", and wait for the announcement of A2000 upgrades.  I suspect A500
upgrade plans will be detailed then.  Running around like chickens with their
heads cut off doesn't help anyone.

Disclaimer: these are, of course, my personal opinions.
Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (07/31/90)

In article <34635@ut-emx.UUCP> greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>I'm sure this is going to start alot of flames, arguments, etc., but I've
>heard that there _will_ _not_ be and _official_ A500 upgrade.
>
>DISCLAIMER:  This is all based on hearsay, and I am basically looking for
>confirmation or denial of the above.

	YES, there is going to be an A500 upgrade to 2.0.  NO, the release
date has not been announced yet by the Marketing people.  This has been
posted several times by CBM people.

	NOW COMES THE FLAME.

	Greg, if all you have is "hearsay", then why the hell are you
posting it to the entire world?!?!?!?!?  If all you wanted was
"confirmation", you should have sent MAIL to someone from CBM.  They are
posting all the time, and their e-mail addresses are in their postings.

	Now, thanks to your posting, thousands of people on the Net are
going to wonder about the A500 upgrade, rumors are going to start flying,
and generally bad press about Awful Commodore Who Doesn't Care About Its
Customers is going to start up again.

	Please THINK before you post potentially harmful hearsay to
the Net.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/31/90)

In article <5962@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	YES, there is going to be an A500 upgrade to 2.0.  NO, the release
>date has not been announced yet by the Marketing people.  This has been
>posted several times by CBM people.

The specific info I have recieved on an A500 upgrade has _not_ confirmed that
there WILL be one.  Even the press releases said it was indefinite.

I'm amazed that you have information that the people at CBM don't.  How _do_
you perform such miracles??

>	NOW COMES THE FLAME.

Now comes the response. :-)

>	Greg, if all you have is "hearsay", then why the hell are you
>posting it to the entire world?!?!?!?!?  If all you wanted was
>"confirmation", you should have sent MAIL to someone from CBM.  They are
>posting all the time, and their e-mail addresses are in their postings.

So far, the _only_ CBM rep. to respond said he _thought_ there would be an
upgrade.  My concern was that no one would _confirm_ this.  This "hearsay"
_does_ come from a registered Amiga Developer, who happens to work at a
registered (and pretty reliable) Amiga dealer.

However, he could be conjuring up his facts from the same place you've
gotten yours. :-)

>	Now, thanks to your posting, thousands of people on the Net are
>going to wonder about the A500 upgrade, rumors are going to start flying,
>and generally bad press about Awful Commodore Who Doesn't Care About Its
>Customers is going to start up again.

First of all, thousands of people _also_ read responses containing
confirmation or denial of these rumors.

Secondly, CBM, who IMHO has made many great decisions lately, made a serious
error in dropping the 1000.  Sure there was an upgrade program, but did _you_
have the money lying around?  My 1000-owning friends didn't.  Now they
survive on the hope of a $400+ hack to allow their orphaned computer to
keep up with the rest of the Amiga line.  CBM could have developed a product
like the Rejuvenator, and sold a whole Hell of a lot of them....

>	Please THINK before you post potentially harmful hearsay to
>the Net.

I did.  I _still_ want to pin down the A500 upgrade program.  For now, we
have the word of Dan....   --That certainly sets my mind at ease!

>                                                        Dan
>
> //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
>| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
>| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

This is not to _start_ rumors, but _end_ them.

greg...

        _ _  Disclaimer:  "What I _really_ meant was..."
AMIGA! ////
      ////   "Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my
_ _  //// favorite axe." --Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's The Wall, One of My Turns
\\\\////
 \\XX//           Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (08/01/90)

In article <34722@ut-emx.UUCP> greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>I'm amazed that you have information that the people at CBM don't.  How _do_
>you perform such miracles??

	By reading comp.sys.amiga, buddy.  Here are two little tidbits for
you.  Remember the press release posted by Commodore?

:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE         EXPECTED SHIP DATE: JULY 1990
:
:
:       COMMODORE EXTENDS POPULAR AMIGA PRODUCT LINE;
:    INTRODUCES TALENTED AMIGA 3000 AT "MULTIMEDIA LIVE"
:
: <blah blah blah...>
:
:Availability of a 2.0 enhancer kit for A500 series machines
:will be announced at a future date.

	Now, this doesn't strictly say that there WILL be such an enhancer...
but if you were Commodore, would you put the above sentence in print and
then NOT deliver one?

	But there's more, from BIX.  You can find a transcript in
/amiga/a3000 by anonymous ftp from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov (the new "xanth").
Andy Finkel of Commodore said:

:[_andy_]* availability for the A2000 and the A500 is a marketing question
:which we can't answer.  It will definitely happen, though.

	Finally, I have definitely read exasperated postings by some CBM
people saying "Will everybody please stop spreading the rumor that there
will be no A500 upgrade???  There WILL be one!  Be patient!"  I have read
at least two of these in the last few months; sorry I didn't save the
articles.

	If you care to continue discussing this, let's move it to private
e-mail.  My address is below.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) (08/01/90)

In article <1705@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx (Ben Scott) writes:
 (regarding separate releases of 2.0 for the 2000 and 500)

>  And so far as I have been told, even if they TRIED, there is
>no reliable way to tell a 500 from a 2000 from software.

>Comments?  Speculation?  Hints?  Gossip?  Recipes?  News?  Tall tales?

This is just speculation, but the big difference between an unexpanded
500 and a 2000 is that the 2000 has a full megabyte of memory, while
the 500 doesn't.  My guess is that the 2000 release will work
on a 1 MB 500, but not (or not too well) on a 1/2 meg one.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

dailey@kira.uucp (Chris Dailey) (08/01/90)

In article <5962@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	NOW COMES THE FLAME.

Why bother with the flame?  Why flame for everyone to waste their time
reading it when they really want to read the next posting?  Just MHO.

>| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
--
  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)
 C oo  dailey@(cpsin1.cps|frith.egr).msu.edu         (make WP5.1 for the Amiga)

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (08/02/90)

In article <10578@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) writes:
>This is just speculation, but the big difference between an unexpanded
>500 and a 2000 is that the 2000 has a full megabyte of memory, while
>the 500 doesn't.  My guess is that the 2000 release will work
>on a 1 MB 500, but not (or not too well) on a 1/2 meg one.

That's about a 50% reliable way of telling, I guess.  They could also detect
1MB chip ram, which would be about 90% reliable.  Of course, that would also
tag early 2000s.

Anyway, the comment I made about detecting which machine 2.0 was running in
was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else.  If CBM _wanted_ to only upgrade
the 2000 and no the 500, they could merely print "2000 Upgrade" on the box,
and then only the informed people would buy it for their 500.

I believe it was Randall Jesup (sp?) that said there was at least one pin
difference that would require a different version of one chip, or at least
a kluged socket to go between the original socket and the chip.

I assume that (being from CBM -- although not an official rep (ie. We can't
hold him to it. :-) ) he is correct.  If the difference is significant
enough to require different pinouts on one chip, I would opt for a different
version of the chip, since an extra socket could possibly interfere with
an accelerator/memory/other board that is fitted inside a 500.

>-don perley
>perley@trub.crd.ge.com

I'm glad that this subject is finally getting some civil, useful responses.

greg...

        _ _  Disclaimer:  "What I _really_ meant was..."
AMIGA! ////
      ////   "Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my
_ _  //// favorite axe." --Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's The Wall, One of My Turns
\\\\////
 \\XX//           Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

goris@eecae.uucp (Jason Goris) (08/08/90)

Did anyone hear anything concerning the release of 2.0 for the A2000?
I wish Commodore would think of their 'old faithful' customers at the
same time while they are producing new stuff for the A3000..

michaelg@proxima.la.locus.com (Michael Gersten/50000) (08/08/90)

A better question is when will we see the upgraded kickstart for the 1000.
Its just a disk, right?

(What do you mean, it won't fit in the 256K kickstart memory? Just load
the rest into regular memory and rom-tag it to survive reboots. Heck,
you could do this with 500 and 2000's as well)

In article <1990Aug7.191547.17601@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> goris@eecae.uucp (Jason Goris) writes:

>Did anyone hear anything concerning the release of 2.0 for the A2000?
>I wish Commodore would think of their 'old faithful' customers at the
>same time while they are producing new stuff for the A3000..

By their nature, the A3000s can easily run 2.0 by way of the MMU, and can
thus be easily upgraded should any bugs be found.  By their nature, A2000s
require ROMs.  So you won't have the new OS on the 2000 until it is deemed
"bug-free" and is burned into ROM.  The intent is not to keep the new stuff
away from "the faithful", but instead, to provide the most solid 2.0 OS
possible for all Amiga systems.
      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

rumbo@impch.imp.com (Peter Kunz) (08/10/90)

ok, this mght not be nice, but don't take it personally:
wasn't the a2000 made for "professionals" and the a500 for "gamers" ?
anyway, expanding an a2000 is much easier and neater, isn't it?
nothing against a500 users...
btw, how much more expensive is the 2000 than the 500?

cu
pete