[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Multitudinous Mice

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) (08/10/90)

[Munch all you want, I'll type more]

Well, after quite a bit of very hard use, by original mouse is in the process
of going south.  I am beginning to look into replacements, but there are quite
a few choices.

I do not wish to start another mechanical vs. optical mouse "discussion" (read
Flame War), but I would like some objective opinions on just what is available.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Boing! optical mouse, but the question of a
mouse pad concerns me.  Are optional mouse pads available in arbitrary sizes?

Is there an Amiga compatible version of the Xerox optical mouse that doesn't
use a mylar mouse pad?

Thanks,
--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (08/10/90)

In article <6757.26c1ba5c@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) writes:
>[Munch all you want, I'll type more]
>
>Well, after quite a bit of very hard use, by original mouse is in the process
>of going south.  I am beginning to look into replacements, but there are quite
>a few choices.

I just bought an Amtrac trackball (from Microspeed), and I am really sold
on Amtrac trackballs as mouse replacements.

One major advantage is the increase in precision when moving the cursor.
For some reason it is more difficult to move a mouse cursor precisely than
it is to move a trackball cursor.  You don't realise just how imprecise a
mouse can be until you spend some time working with a good trackball.

Now, for most trackballs the biggest problem usually is in trying to
manipulate the buttons while still being able to move the ball.  The Amtrac
solves this with a "right-button" toggle switch at the top-center.  For menu
selections, click the middle button once, roll to your selection, then click
again to select the menu item.

This feature has made me aware of a minor irritation that I wasn't even aware
of until it went away:

Occasionally when selecting menu items with a mouse I accidentally release
the button without intending to.  This does not happen often, but it does
happen.  It's something that subconsciously I am guarding against whenever
I am selecting from the menu with my mouse.  But with my Amtrac I'm not even
worried about it because the menu is locked in until I click the button the
second time to make my selection.  This makes a subtle difference in my
relaxation level when I am using the Amtrac.

There are also regular right and left buttons that function identically to
the right and left buttons on the mouse.  These buttons are layed out as a
split ring that encircles the ball completely, except for the extra button at
the top-center mentioned earlier.  The two halves of the ring are large,
making them easy to use with any finger or the thumb, or the edge of the hand
by flicking the wrist.  This design is the best button layout I've ever seen
on a trackball.  The Amtrac is the second trackball I've purchased, and I've
used or observed many others.

The Amtrac also has a very polished appearance, and it really looks sharp
sitting next to my Amiga.  The color matches the Amiga, and the curving slope
from the back down to the front matches the keyboard slope, in addition to
providing a comfortable resting place for the heel of my hand.

Finally, the biggest advantage of a trackball is the amazing quantity of desk
real estate that it reclaims.  No more reaching reflexively for a blank patch
of desktop.  The Amtrac takes up its relatively modest square of space next to
my keyboard, and that is all the space it will ever need.

I payed approximately $75 for mine (I don't remember the exact amount).

DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way associated with Microspeed except as a very
             satisfied owner of their product, the Amtrac trackball.
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.