[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Fried 2091A?

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (08/04/90)

I managed something real stupid last night - while putting my A2000 back
together I put the SCSI cable in offset by one.  Fried the hell out of the
ribbon cable and possibly the board (2091A rev 4 modified) and/or drive
(std 40 meg quantum they stick in A2000HD systems).

Does anyone know what the most likely thing to blow when I do this?  The
connector was offset by one from the bottom (pin 1 and the one next to it was
exposed).  I can't recall the burned line (nice cloud of smoke) since I gave it
to a REAL (as opposed to keyboard jock like me) h/w tech to make a new one on
the press he has.

Ah well...you know what they say about programmers and screwdrivers.  I guess
being tired and working on this at 2:30 in the morning wasn't bright to begin
with.

Thanks for any info...the poor thing was only a week old.

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

garyf@wiis.wang.com (Gary Field) (08/11/90)

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:

>I managed something real stupid last night - while putting my A2000 back
>together I put the SCSI cable in offset by one.  Fried the hell out of the
>ribbon cable and possibly the board (2091A rev 4 modified) and/or drive
>(std 40 meg quantum they stick in A2000HD systems).
>Does anyone know what the most likely thing to blow when I do this?  The
>connector was offset by one from the bottom (pin 1 and the one next to it was
>exposed).  I can't recall the burned line (nice cloud of smoke) since I gave it
>to a REAL (as opposed to keyboard jock like me) h/w tech to make a new one on
>the press he has.
>Ah well...you know what they say about programmers and screwdrivers.  I guess
>being tired and working on this at 2:30 in the morning wasn't bright to begin
>with.

The most likely thing to have been damaged is the diode and fuse
in series with the terminator power line (center pin 25). Some host adapters
don't fuse this line, but as you can see they should :-). This could
also occur on the drive end, if it is set up to supply terminator power.
Check the etches running to this pin on both the controller and drive.
They may no longer exist!
Good luck!