[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need pinout on disk drive port

cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) (07/26/90)

  I am posting this for a friend:

	I lost my Amiga manual, which lists the pinout for the external
	disk drive connector.  I need the pinout for the external (25
	pin) connector (listed in the appendices).  Thank you, as I
	need this for a hardware project.
--
The UUCP Mailer

adam@cbmcats.UUCP (Adam Keith Levin) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.010258.20957@eplrx7.uucp> cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) writes:

>  I am posting this for a friend:
>
>	I lost my Amiga manual, which lists the pinout for the external
>	disk drive connector.  I need the pinout for the external (25
>	pin) connector (listed in the appendices).  Thank you, as I
>	need this for a hardware project.
>--
>The UUCP Mailer

From the "Amiga Hardware Reference Manual" by Commodore-Amiga,
published by Addison-Wesley (ISBN 0-201-18157-6).

EXTERNAL DISK INTERFACE CONNECTOR SPECIFICATION

The 23-pin D-type connector with sockets (DB23S) at the rear of the
Amiga is nominally used to interface to MFM devices.

EXTERNAL DISK CONNECTOR PIN ASSIGNMENT (J7)

PIN NAME    DIR   NOTES
--- ----    ---   -----
1   RDY*    I/O   If motor on, indicates disk installed and up to
                  speed.  If motor not on, identification mode. See
                  below.
2   DKRD*    I    MFM input data to Amiga.
3   GND
4   GND
5   GND
6   GND
7   GND
8   MTRXD*   OC   Motor on data, clocked into drive's motor-on
                  flip-flop by the active transition of SELxB*.
                  Guaranteed setup time is 1.4 usec.
                  Guaranteed hold time is 1.4 usec.
9   SEL2B*   OC   Select drive 2.*
10  DRESB*   OC   Amiga system reset.  Drives should reset their
                  motor-on flip-flops and set their write-protect
                  flip-flops.
11  CHNG*   I/O   Note: Nominally used as an open collector input.
                  Drive's change flop is set at power up or when no
                  disk is not installed.  Flop is reset when drive is
                  selected and the head stepped, but only if a disk
                  is installed.
12  +5V           270 ma maximum; 410 ma surge
                  When below 3.75V, drives are required to reset their
                  motor-on flops, and set their write-protect flops.
13  SIDEB*   O    Side 1 if active, side 0 if inactive
14  WPRO*   I/O   Asserted by selected, write-protected disk.
15  TK0*    I/O   Asserted by selected drive when read/write head
                  is positioned over track 0.
16  DKWEB*   OC   Write gate (enable) to drive.
17  DKWDB*   OC   MFM output data from Amiga.
18  STEPB*   OC   Selected drive steps one cylinder in the direction
                  indicated by DIRB.
19  DIRB     OC   Direction to step the head.  Inactive to step
                  towards center of disk (higher-numbered tracks).
20  SEL3B*   OC   Select drive 3. *
21  SEL1B*   OC   Select drive 1. *
22  INDEX*  I/O   Index is a pulse generated once per disk revolution,
                  between the end and beginning of cylinders.  The
                  8520 can be programmed to conditionally generate a
                  level 6 interrupt to the 68000 whenever the INDEX*
                  input goes active.
23  +12V          160 ma maximum; 540 ma surge.

* Note: the drive select lines are shifted as they pass through
        a string of daisy chained devices. Thus the signal that appears
        as drive 2 select at the first drive shows up as drive 1 select
        at the second drive and so on...

Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS     Commodore Applications and Technical Support
1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA  19380                  (215) 431-9180
BIX: aklevin             UUCP: ...{amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!cbmcats!adam

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/11/90)

In article <13454@cbmvax.commodore.com> adam@cbmcats.UUCP (Adam Keith Levin) writes:
>From the "Amiga Hardware Reference Manual" by Commodore-Amiga,
>published by Addison-Wesley (ISBN 0-201-18157-6).

  EXTERNAL DISK INTERFACE CONNECTOR SPECIFICATION
  8   MTRXD*   OC   Motor on data, clocked into drive's motor-on
                    flip-flop by the active transition of SELxB*.
                    Guaranteed setup time is 1.4 usec.
                    Guaranteed hold time is 1.4 usec.
>Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS     Commodore Applications and Technical Support

Adam, you left out the most important piece of information - the details
about the "motor-on data".  When AmigaDOS is reset, it sends a signal out
to DF1, DF2, and DF3 asking them to identify themselves.  It expects to
see a pattern of bits come back on pin 8 that say "I am an Amiga 3.5 inch
drive" or "I am an Amiga 5.25 inch drive".  Without this signal, the Amiga
will refuse to automatically recognize the drive.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms