[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2002 popping

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (08/01/90)

I have a C2002 monitor on my A500 which is apparently subject to the
  well-discussed 1084 popping effect.  There is one difference, though:
  when the monitor pops, it turns itself off.  The only way to get it
  back on is to turn the power switch 'off' (causing the power light to
  turn ON for 2-3 sec., apparently as the built-up charge discharges
  through it), wait a while, and turn it back on.  If the wait is less
  than 5 minutes or so, the monitor goes into a cycle of rapidly
  decreasing time-between-pops, eventually getting to the point of turning
  itself off every 45 sec-1 min.

Will the 'fix' for the 1084 pops correct this, or is my problem something
  different?  I don't recall anyone else  saying they had seen this effect.
  And is the 'fix' for the 2002 the same as for the 1084?  I don't know
  how similar their internals are, so I really don't know where to look
  for the carbon deposits that cause the problem.

Thanks.
                                       Bill.

=====   Bill Gribble           Internet: bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu =====
=====   Harvey Mudd College              wgribble@hmcvax.claremont.edu  =====
=====   Claremont, CA 91711    Bitnet:   wgribble@hmcvax.bitnet         =====
=====   (714) 621-8000 x2045   UUCP:     ..!uunet!jarthur!bgribble      =====

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/11/90)

In article <8015@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
>I have a C2002 monitor on my A500 which is apparently subject to the
>  well-discussed 1084 popping effect.  There is one difference, though:
>  when the monitor pops, it turns itself off.

My A2002 turned itself off once after snapping.  After about the 20th "snap!",
I went in and applied the 1084 fix to it.  No more popping.

It also turned itself off the first time I tried to connect the video output
from my VCR to composite-video input on the A2002.  Then I discovered the
nasty ground loop between the cable company and the 120 volt wall outlet.
There was approximately 5V AC difference between the two "grounds".
Looks like it triggered the crowbar circuit in the power supply.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms