[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 + 2 SCSI drives

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/04/90)

I finally got a cable made to connect both the Quantum drives (a 40S and
a 105S) to my 2091.  When I connect it and power up, though, my 2000
only recognizes the 105S.  Both hard drives work fine when connected
independently, and neithe fried when I connected them up together, so
I don't think the cable is bad.  I did take the terminator packs out
of my 40S and put them in the 105S as the 2091 manual said I should.
I also changed jumper 5, option 1 on the 2091 to on, so the controller
would recognize more than one SCSI drive.  Is there anything I missed?
I did not get a manual with the 105S (bought second-hand) so if it
needs a unit number change or something, I don't know how to do it.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) (08/05/90)

>a 105S) to my 2091.  When I connect it and power up, though, my 2000
>only recognizes the 105S.  Both hard drives work fine when connected
>independently, and neithe fried when I connected them up together, so
>I don't think the cable is bad.  I did take the terminator packs out
>of my 40S and put them in the 105S as the 2091 manual said I should.
>I also changed jumper 5, option 1 on the 2091 to on, so the controller

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>would recognize more than one SCSI drive.  Is there anything I missed?
>I did not get a manual with the 105S (bought second-hand) so if it

First of all, jumper 5.1 is NOT so the 2091 can recognize multiple drives,
it's to allow multiple logical units to be recognized at EACH physical
SCSI address.  With the Jumper in the off position the controller expects
a maximum of ONE SCSI device at each of the 7 available addresses (0-6).
With it on, it will attempt to address up to 8 (0-7) logical units (LUNs)
at each of the 7 available SCSI addresses.  The device at a given address
would need to be a controller capable of decoding the LUN addresses and be
connected to multiple drives that would all be at address x LUN x allowing
up to 56 drives on the 2091.  Your configuration however has each of the
two drives as separate PHYSICALLY addressed devices (or at least they
should be) and this jumper would have no effect.  You need to be sure that
each drive is strapped for a different SCSI address (on the drive itself)
to have them both on the 2091 at the same time.  Since you say either one
works alone but the two don't work together, I suspect they are at the same
address.

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com  -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -   Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running SkyLine 1.31 @ (602) 893-0804

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/05/90)

>In article <90216.004446JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I finally got a cable made to connect both the Quantum drives (a 40S and
>a 105S) to my 2091.  When I connect it and power up, though, my 2000
>only recognizes the 105S.

>   Both hard drives work fine when connected independently.

>  Is there anything I missed?

   Probably to (re?)move a jumper on one of the drives to give it another
SCSI address. Do they show up as the same unit when connected independently?
If so, this is the matter.

                            Have a nice day    -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (08/07/90)

In article <hclausen.2193@adspdk.CBMNET> hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) writes:
>>In article <90216.004446JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>I finally got a cable made to connect both the Quantum drives (a 40S and
>>a 105S) to my 2091.  When I connect it and power up, though, my 2000
>>only recognizes the 105S.
>
>>   Both hard drives work fine when connected independently.
>
>>  Is there anything I missed?
>
>   Probably to (re?)move a jumper on one of the drives to give it another
>SCSI address. Do they show up as the same unit when connected independently?
>If so, this is the matter.

and if your drives ARE jumpered for different SCSI addresses then go into
HDToolBox and simply "save changes to drive" for both drives.  The first
disk in the chain has a flag on the RigidDiskBlock to tell it that there
are no more drives past its address, so the driver doesn`t look.  Saving
changes erases the flag from the first drive and moves it to the second.

	Steve

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/09/90)

Steve,
       I wnated to reply to you to let you know your answer was the
solution.  Thanks!

Does anyone know why none of my replies or e-mail to CBMVAX never make
it there NOR do they bounce back to my account here?

mrr@mrsoft.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) (08/11/90)

>In article <90221.001159JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Does anyone know why none of my replies or e-mail to CBMVAX never make
>it there NOR do they bounce back to my account here?
>
>                                                            Kurt
>--

Can't give you an answer, but I've shared the experience many times.

Mark
# Mark R. Rinfret, MRSoft               Home: 401-846-7639      #
# mrr@mrsoft, galaxia!mrsoft!mrr        Work: 401-849-9930 x301 #