[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2091 problems, 2630 question

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (08/04/90)

From some recent postings, it seems there are _serious_ problems
with connecting multiple drives to a 2091 and using them both at
once (copying between them seems to be the most common culprit.)

Noone at Commodore has addressed this particular problem on the
net yet.  I hear there is a 2091 ROM upgrade in the works, that
fixes the location 0 bugaboo.  I assume there is more to it than
that...could it be that it fixes this more serious bug as well?
(Perhaps that hasn't been mentioned because they are charging $$
for this "bug fix"??)

On another note, there hasn't been so much as a breath about the
32 bit ram expansion for the 2630.  As a new 2500/30 owner, these
2 points, combined with all the 3000 hoopla is beginning to make
me feel like an orphan.  (A product orphaned at 5 months!?)

encouraging news, flames, etc. to:

dylan
dylan@cs.washington.edu

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/11/90)

In article <12710@june.cs.washington.edu>, dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan
McNamee) says:

>From some recent postings, it seems there are _serious_ problems
>with connecting multiple drives to a 2091 and using them both at
>once (copying between them seems to be the most common culprit.)
>
>Noone at Commodore has addressed this particular problem on the
>net yet.  I hear there is a 2091 ROM upgrade in the works, that
>fixes the location 0 bugaboo.  I assume there is more to it than
>that...could it be that it fixes this more serious bug as well?
>(Perhaps that hasn't been mentioned because they are charging $$
>for this "bug fix"??)

Well, I was one of the posters who had trouble using two drives
at once.  Having solved my problem, I can tell you the 2091 was
not to blame.  I take part of the responsibility myself, and blame
the other part on non-explicit instructions for adding a second drive
in the 2091 manual.  But now that they are up and  running I have
had NO problems with the setup, including running both at once.
I have copied over 10 megs at a crack between the two and not
a single glitch.  I even went and did other things while the copy
was taking place and had no problems.

I can't speak for other drive combinations, but mine is a 2091 with
the included Quantum 40S and an added internal Quantum 105S.

Concerning new ROMs, didn't someone here on the net say that you
could get the new ones installed free at a service center?  If that's
true, I wouldn't call it a problem.   :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/11/90)

In article <12710@june.cs.washington.edu>, dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan
McNamee) says:

>From some recent postings, it seems there are _serious_ problems
>with connecting multiple drives to a 2091 and using them both at
>once (copying between them seems to be the most common cul`rit.)
>
>Noone at Commodore has addressed this particular problem on the
>net yet.  I hear there is a 2091 ROM upgrade in the works, that
>fixes the location 0 bugaboo.  I assume there is more to it than
>that...could it be that it fixes this more serious bug as well?
>(Perhaps that hasn't been mentioned because they are charging $$
>for this "bug fix"??)

Well, I was one of the posters who had trouble using two drives
at once.  Having solved my problem, I can tell you the 2091 was
not to blame.  I take part of the responsibility myself, and blame
the other part on non-explicit instructions for adding a second drive
in the 2091 manual.  But now that they are up and  running I have
had NO problems with the setup, including running both at once.
I have copied over 10 megs at a crack between the two and not
a single glitch.  I even went and did other things while the copy
was taking place and had no problems.

I can'd speak for other drive combinations, but mine is a 2091 with
the included Quantum 40S and an added internal Quantum 105S.

Concebning new ROMs, didn't someone here on the net say that you
could get the new ones installed free at a service center?  If that's
true, I wouldn't call it a problem.   :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kubt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM'c, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I uce 'em all.     ||

stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) (08/11/90)

>McNamee) says:
>>
>>From some recent postings, it seems there are _serious_ problems
>>with connecting multiple drives to a 2091 and using them both at
>>once (copying between them seems to be the most common culprit.)
>
>Concerning new ROMs, didn't someone here on the net say that you
>could get the new ones installed free at a service center?  If that's
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>true, I wouldn't call it a problem.   :-)

If it's supposed to be free, I'd like to know about it!  I paid about
$28 each for the two ROMs 'cause when asked, the dealer said he'd charge
me about $20 to install the darn things! (on top of the $28 ea.)
Needless to say I PLUGGED them in myself.

It seems to me it should be a free upgrade since it isn't to add features
but to fix problems brought on by CBM!  This really burns me up!
In an earlier posting on this subject by myself I was mistaken in
remembering a much lower price.  If I'd paid the dealer to fix this
problem that CBM is responsible for I'd have paid around $80 bucks!!
As it stands I'm out around $60.

I also understand there's a BIG article in Amiga World about this
fiasco...   tsk tsk tsk   Bad press CBM...  you've screwed me again!
And you wonder why there is such a love HATE relationship with your
customers.

I have this incredible respect for the Engineers and staff of CBM
responsible for such an wonderful machine...  and such a "spit in your
face" attitude for the folks that make some of the policy decisions there.
I think these guys owe me at least $60!

Stan

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com  -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -   Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running SkyLine 1.31 @ (602) 893-0804

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (08/12/90)

In article <90222.130855JKT100@`suvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
+In article <12710@june.cs.washington.edu>, dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan
+McNamee) says:
+>
[ problem descriptions deleted ]
+
+Well, I was one of the posters who had trouble using two drives
+at once.  Having solved my problem, I can tell you the 2091 was
+not to blame.  I take part of the responsibility myself, and blame
+the other part on non-explicit instructions for adding a second drive
+in the 2091 manual.  But now that they are up and  running I have
+had NO problems with the setup, including running both at once.
+I have copied over 10 megs at a crack between the two and not
+a single glitch.  I even went and did other things while the copy
+was taking place and had no problems.

What was to blame then?

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400