[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Do I need to replace my C.Ltd SCSI controller

stevef@bony1.uucp (Steve Faiwiszewski) (08/11/90)

    I have a (rather old) C.Ltd SCSI controller for my A1000.  It's
talking to a Seagate 271N 65 Meg drive, and everything is fine.  I
would like to add some kind of backup device.  Since I also have a
(please forgive me) PC with a hard disk, I want to get something that
I can use on both systems.  I was thinking of getting the SyQuest
removable disk drive (I know someone who uses it on the PC, with a
SCSI controller naturally).

    Unfortunately, I was told by one mail order place that to use the
SyQuest on the Amiga I would need a software driver for it, which is
(naturally) not available for the CLtd controller.  Now I'm confused;
isn't the whole point of SCSI to make the device smart enough so the
computer doesn't have to worry about the low level details?  Shouldn't
I just have to plug the device in, and have it working right away?
Or was that vendor just trying to get me to buy a new controller from
him?

   If indeed there's no hope for the C.Ltd controller, I don't want to
shell out more money on a new one.  I was thinking that if I get a
cheap tape backup for the PC (available under $300), I should
(theoretically) be able to back up my Amiga HD on the PC tape by
moving data thru the serial port at high speed (probably a slow
process, but better than using 70 floppy disks!).  Obviously I would
need some kind of software to allow this.  Does anyone know of
anything remotely like this?  Did anyone think of porting DNET to the
PC?

   Any info would be appreciated.

        Thanks,
                - Steve -

Internet: stevef@bony.COM    |              Steve Faiwiszewski
          stevef@bony1.UUCP  |                   --=::=--
bang    : uunet!bony1!stevef |       C++ : a strongly hyped language

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug10.214519.2689@bony1.uucp> stevef@bony1.UUCP (Steve Faiwiszewski) writes:
>    I have a (rather old) C.Ltd SCSI controller for my A1000.  It's
>I was thinking of getting the SyQuest
>removable disk drive (I know someone who uses it on the PC, with a
>SCSI controller naturally).
>    Unfortunately, I was told by one mail order place that to use the
>SyQuest on the Amiga I would need a software driver for it, which is
>(naturally) not available for the CLtd controller.  Now I'm confused;

BS.  They are either uninformed or lying.  I use a syquest on my SCSIdos3.0
controller right now.  It works (mostly) great.  Every once in a while
(say, once every week or two) it will hang if I do lots of I/O read/write
at the same time, but I wouldn't think that is the SyQuest's fault.
If you buy the SyQuest drive, let me know and I will send you my
startup-sequence, mountlist, catridge-formatting script, and so on.

(I also have a cartidge-to-cartridge backup program, but it is going
commercial so I can't send it around :-().

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---