[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Minor display enhancer problem

davids@cup.portal.com (David Kenneth Schreiber) (08/14/90)

Well, I've gotten the overheating and RAM problems solved, but there's one
more minor problem that I'm having:  sometimes, when doing a cold boot the
deinterlaced image has garbage overlayed over it and has a general purplish
tint.  Shutting off the computer and turning back on about a second later
gets rid of it every time.  Turning it on any time after ~1 minutes results
in the screen garbage, but again it is cleared using the above technique.
Any time that the display-enhancer is not used (the productivity modes, or
when it is switched off), the display is garbageless.  It is also free of
any problems when the display is simply scan-doubled (eg. a 640x200 screen);
dragging that non-interlaced screen down to reveal an interlaced screen does
bring up the garbage.  It happens under both 1.3 and 2.0.  I've also check
the cable half a dozen times;  I'm sure it's not that (this problem never
showed up on the 3000 I had replaced).

What I'd like to know is:  does this sound like a problem with the Amber
chip?  If so, I'd be inclinded to just let it ride (it's not really a
hardship) until I take the machine in to get the 2.0 ROM upgrade;  I'd
have my local dealer replace Amber at the same time.  If it sounds more
serious, I'll make the trek to the dealer that I bought it from (1 hr.
away, plus the time needed to remove the extra hard drive and 3Mb of RAM
I've added and reinstall it all in the new machine) and get a replacement.

Thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions.

-Dave Schreiber at davids@cup.portal.com    "Coffee, Darling?"

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (08/15/90)

In article <32765@cup.portal.com> davids@cup.portal.com (David Kenneth Schreiber) writes:
>Well, I've gotten the overheating and RAM problems solved, but there's one
>more minor problem that I'm having:  sometimes, when doing a cold boot the
>deinterlaced image has garbage overlayed over it and has a general purplish
>tint.  Shutting off the computer and turning back on about a second later
>gets rid of it every time.  Turning it on any time after ~1 minutes results
>in the screen garbage, but again it is cleared using the above technique.
>Any time that the display-enhancer is not used (the productivity modes, or
>when it is switched off), the display is garbageless.  It is also free of
>any problems when the display is simply scan-doubled (eg. a 640x200 screen);
>dragging that non-interlaced screen down to reveal an interlaced screen does
>bring up the garbage.  It happens under both 1.3 and 2.0.  I've also check
>the cable half a dozen times;  I'm sure it's not that (this problem never
>showed up on the 3000 I had replaced).
>
>What I'd like to know is:  does this sound like a problem with the Amber
>chip?  If so, I'd be inclinded to just let it ride (it's not really a
>hardship) until I take the machine in to get the 2.0 ROM upgrade;  I'd
>have my local dealer replace Amber at the same time.  If it sounds more
>serious, I'll make the trek to the dealer that I bought it from (1 hr.
>away, plus the time needed to remove the extra hard drive and 3Mb of RAM
>I've added and reinstall it all in the new machine) and get a replacement.
>
>Thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions.
>
>-Dave Schreiber at davids@cup.portal.com    "Coffee, Darling?"

Dave,

Have you tried adjusting the fine-tuning control as outlined in the
"Introducing the A3000" manual?  I would bet that if you follow the
instructions carefully that this will solve your problem.
problem.  Please follow the instructions carefully
Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

davids@cup.portal.com (David Kenneth Schreiber) (08/16/90)

er) writes:
[...]

[...]

.>Thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions.
.>
.>-Dave Schreiber at davids@cup.portal.com    "Coffee, Darling?"

.Dave,

.Have you tried adjusting the fine-tuning control as outlined in the
."Introducing the A3000" manual?  I would bet that if you follow the
.instructions carefully that this will solve your problem.
.C
.problem.  Please follow the instructions carefully

.Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
.   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
.  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

Yes, I have tried that and it had _no_ effect on the problem (although
it did clear up some pixel-jittering).  The problem I'm having is not at
all like what is described in the manual (i.e. there are no stability
problems):  imagine taking a standard screen image, subtracting out the
green (like the signal for green isn't connected), and genlocking garbage
over that with SuperGen set at 1/2 transparent.  Any ideas?

-Dave Schreiber at davids@cup.portal.com            "Coffee, Darling?"