[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2M chip ram for A500 rev 6 boards????

ccgavin@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz (08/14/90)

In article <13645@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
> In article <3223@rwthinf.UUCP> stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) writes:
>
>>Is it possible to upgrade the A3000 to 4MB Fast-RAM with 1Mx4 DIP(!!) chips,
>>which replace the existing 256Kx4 DIP chips in the first bank?
>
> Two problems here.  First of all, I'm not certain that the DIP bank was
> wired for the extra address line necessary for the 1Mx4 parts, though there
> is a good chance it was.  The second problem is the one to overcome -- find
> a source of 1Mx4 DIPs in 0.300" packages.  At least back when we had to make
> this kind of decision, only one company had announced a 1Mx4 DIP part, at it
> came in a 0.400" package, which of course isn't physically compatible with
> the thinner DIPs we're using, even if the pinout is the same.  ZIPs aren't a
> problem, since they grow vertically rather than horizontally.  Anyway, if
> 1Mx4 0.300" DIPs start to show up, I can easily check to see about whether
> they work in the A3000's Fast-Bus DIP sockets.

	Is the revision 6 A500 mainboard wired for the extra address line to
support 1Mx4 DIPS. Also is there any modification needed other than replacing
the current 256kx4 DIPS with the 1Mx4s to produce a 2M chip ram A500, as the
Agnus chip in the rev 6 boards is supposed to be the same as in the A3000 that
supports 2M chip ram.

Thanks in advance,
Gavin.............
--
Internet: ccgavin@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz.au         Phone: +61 7 377 3025
  Postal: Gavin Stone-Tolcher, Prentice Computer Centre

finnis@WELSWS.enet.dec.com (Peter Finnis) (08/16/90)

>	Is the revision 6 A500 mainboard wired for the extra address line to
>support 1Mx4 DIPS. Also is there any modification needed other than replacing
>the current 256kx4 DIPS with the 1Mx4s to produce a 2M chip ram A500, as the
>Agnus chip in the rev 6 boards is supposed to be the same as in the A3000 that
>supports 2M chip ram.

	Can You expand the 256x4 to 1 Meg on board plus the 512kb Trapdoor
	to give 1.5 Meg ??
	I presume this requires the Fatter Agnus (02) , But what links do
	you add/cut ..   Rev 6A motherboard Amiga 500 only..
      ___
     /  /    	    Peter Finnis
    /__/__ _/_  __  Digital,  Shire Park, The Boulevard,Welwyn Garden City,
   /   /_/ /   /_/  England.
  /   /_  /__ /_    finnis%welsws.dec@decwrl.dec.com  Phone: 0707-374174