[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] The unknown GURU. {Please help}.

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (08/07/90)

G'day,

I've just had a GURU that I could not find an explanation for in my AmigaWorld
Special Issue Reference Guide (1897) list of GURU medititation numbers.

The GURU meditiation code was 00000025.00000000 which I find interesting as it
is the first time I've seen that address as the task address part of a GURU no.

My System H/W: Stock A1000 with 256K RAM expansion. {:-( I want RAM expansion}
My System S/W: Kickstart/Workbench 1.3 a la the Australian Workbench expander
               kit, PopCLI III, etc (if its important I could supply details
               via e-mail).

I am a little vague on the details of s/w running at the time of the GURU but
if you'd like to help and you think those details are pertinent I will supply
more details via e-mail if you wish. I'd prefer an e-mail response by the way
(even though I read this group regularly) because I don't want to chance that
I miss any replies.

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.
{I apologise for the lack of an e-mail address here. I can never remeber it!}

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/09/90)

From article <914@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, by U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo):
> G'day,
>
> I've just had a GURU that I could not find an explanation for in my AmigaWorld
> Special Issue Reference Guide (1897) list of GURU medititation numbers.
>
> The GURU meditiation code was 00000025.00000000 which I find interesting as it
> is the first time I've seen that address as the task address part of a GURU no.

The low GURU numbers are the Motorola exception traps,  25 is Processor
trap #5 generated by executing TRAP #5.  Either you have a munged
program code segment, or someone was using the trap in their code and
the trap handling code was not installed first.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (08/09/90)

In article <914@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
(Lou Cavallo) writes:

>The GURU meditiation code was 00000025.00000000 which I find interesting as it
>is the first time I've seen that address as the task address part of a GURU no.

A Guru $00000025 means that a TRAP #5 instruction was executed, but that trap
vector was not allocated, and therefore did not point to anything meaningful.
I have no idea why the TCB address is $0 though.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

navas@cory.uucp (David C. Navas) (08/09/90)

In article <13714@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <914@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
>(Lou Cavallo) writes:
>>The GURU meditiation code was 00000025.00000000 which I find interesting as it
>
>I have no idea why the TCB address is $0 though.

Every time I've gotten this error it has been with the tcb=$0.  I can't
remember what stupid thing I was doing -- probably either was tromping over
my own code, or over low memory, or over someone else's code.

One of your pointers has undoubtedly gone errant :)

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

mike@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (08/10/90)

In article <2048@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) writes:
>trap #5 generated by executing TRAP #5.  Either you have a munged
>program code segment, or someone was using the trap in their code and
>the trap handling code was not installed first.

I'm currently working on a new & improved kind of "Guru" program.  I got
the normal CPU exceptions (up to 32)

I couldn't find any exceptions above that (0x20).  Is there a good source
of the descriptions?

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (08/11/90)

G'day,

DC> In article <26884@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, navas@cory.uucp (David C. Navas)
DC> writes:

VP> In article <13714@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea)
VP> writes:

LC> In article <914@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
LC> (Lou Cavallo) writes:
LC> The GURU meditiation code was 00000025.00000000 which I find interesting as

VP> I have no idea why the TCB address is $0 though.

DC> Every time I've gotten this error it has been with the tcb=$0.  I can't
DC> remember what stupid thing I was doing -- probably either was tromping over
DC> my own code, or over low memory, or over someone else's code.

DC> One of your pointers has undoubtedly gone errant :)
DC> David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu

Thanks to everyone for the help so far (including the e-mail I've received, I
will try to reply to my mail soon but my thesis beckons!). I can see I should
have posted in the original article the details leading up to the GURU.

Firstly, I wasn't running my own code. I was playing with VirusX and ZeroVirus
from a fish disk. {Sorry, I don't have that disk with me at the moment so I am
unable to give anyone the version numbers etc.} After quitting from VirusX I'd
tried running ZeroVirus twice in a row. On quitting (via the main screen) Zero
Virus the second time I got the above GURU.

I can assume that 1 of the two programs was likely to have set up the CPU trap
no?

Thanks again to all.

yours truly,
Anjin_San.

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (08/17/90)

In article <13856@cbmvax.commodore.com>
valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

> 55      Unassigned, Reserved

That's "FP Unimplemented Data Type" on the MC68040.

Best regards,

Ralph

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (08/17/90)

In article <5096@eklektik.UUCP> mike@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:

>I'm currently working on a new & improved kind of "Guru" program.  I got
>the normal CPU exceptions (up to 32)
>
>I couldn't find any exceptions above that (0x20).  Is there a good source
>of the descriptions?

The best sources are the Motorola MX680x0 manuals. Check the section entitled
"Exception Processing". But for your convenience, here is the remaining list
of vectors:

32-47	Trap #0-15 instruction vectors
48	FPCP (Floating Point Coprocessor Branch) or Set on Unordered Condition
49	FPCP Inexact Result
50	FPCP Divide by Zero
51	FPCP Underflow
52	FPCP Operand Error
53	FPCP Overflow
54	FPCP Signaling NAN
55	Unassigned, Reserved
56	MMU Configuration Error
57	68851 PMMU Illegal Operation
58	68851 PMMU Access Level Violation
58-63	Unassigned, Reserved
64-255	User Defined Vectors (192)

Valentin
--

dolf@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) (08/17/90)

In article <13856@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
=The best sources are the Motorola MX680x0 manuals. Check the section entitled
="Exception Processing". But for your convenience, here is the remaining list
=of vectors:
= [ DELETED ]
=58	68851 PMMU Access Level Violation
=58-63	Unassigned, Reserved
Oeps, I think Valentin meant: 59-63 Unassigned, Reserved.

Let me add the ones of the MC68040:
55	FP Unimplemented Data Types

Note that vectors 13 (Coprocessor Protocol Violation), 56, 57 and 58 are not
used by the MC68040.
--
Dolf Grunbauer      Tel: +31 55 433233 Internet dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl
Philips Information Systems            UUCP     ...!mcsun!philapd!dolf