[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Raaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (08/18/90)

I don't believe it.  Listen what happened to me today.  This morning I (or
better the Amiga) succeeded in destroying my not 1/2 year old Imprimis
Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.

After another crash while writing to the hd, I had the usual error created
by the braindamaged AmigaDOS - key blabla not set, error validating disk.
After that I tried to do what I always did when this happened (which it did
a lot, since the 3000 crashes about as often as the very first 1000 with
the buggy ram expansion did - you can't work seriously one hour without a
crash):  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
occured.  So I low-level-formatted the drive and tried again - no success.
I tried a Verfiy Data on disk, which resulted in several bad blocks (that
were not there before) and finally a message saying Hardware Error 18.

I can hardly stay calm and not start to flame around what I think of a
computer system that is so #*g?*% that it can ruin a harddisk.  And no,
there were no vibrations that could have caused a head crash, the system is
rock-steady on my desk - and the drive never ever showed the slightest sign
of a problem before.

Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

jfath@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (jerome fath) (08/19/90)

In article <03904.AA03904@sosaria.imp.com> you write:

>I don't believe it.  Listen what happened to me today.  This morning I (or
>better the Amiga) succeeded in destroying my not 1/2 year old Imprimis
>Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.

I've had several hard drives fail over the years on my PC systems at work.
In all cases it was the drive or the controller NOT the computer.  I have
trouble believing the cause was your 3000.  This reminds me of the flames
directed at AmigaDOS in the early years because it crashed so often.
When a program crashes on a PC the machine locks up and it was a program
crash.  When a program crashes on an Amiga, the OS is smart enough to tell
you something about it so it was an OS crash.

I hope if the culprit turns out to be your drive or controller you consider
posting a note of apology to Commodore and all Amiga users for perpetuating
the 'unstable Amiga' myth.
==============================QuickSig==================================
Jerry Fath

blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) (08/20/90)

In article <03904.AA03904@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>After another crash while writing to the hd, I had the usual error created
>by the braindamaged AmigaDOS - key blabla not set, error validating disk.

I've never experienced a "Key already set" under 2.0. Did you use 1.3?
Have you checked which file was corrupt? (You can use the keyword "KEYS"
with the list command to see the key numbers of each file)

>After that I tried to do what I always did when this happened (which it did
>a lot, since the 3000 crashes about as often as the very first 1000 with
>the buggy ram expansion did - you can't work seriously one hour without a
>crash):

Mine doesn't crash more often than my A2500.

>re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
>had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
>occured.  So I low-level-formatted the drive and tried again - no success.
>I tried a Verfiy Data on disk, which resulted in several bad blocks (that
>were not there before) and finally a message saying Hardware Error 18.

Have you tried to format your drive with another Controller/Software?

I experienced that scsi.device sometimes doesn't seem to work with two drives
reliably - it crashes when copying large files from one drive to the other
- Do you have both, Quantum and Imprimis connected to your A3000?

>I can hardly stay calm and not start to flame around what I think of a
>computer system that is so #*g?*% that it can ruin a harddisk.  And no,
>there were no vibrations that could have caused a head crash, the system is
>rock-steady on my desk - and the drive never ever showed the slightest sign
>of a problem before.

Although I can understand your reaction,  I still don't believe that it's
possible to completely ruin a hard disk that way. I'm sure that this is
not the A3000's fault.

>Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

Still anybody around calling an IBM PC a professional system?

>Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

Martin A. Blatter	blatter@ifi.unizh.ch (University of Zurich)
                        cbmehq!cbmswi!zethos!blatter@cbmvax.commodore.com
			"There's a light where the darkness ends" (Taupin)

Martin A. Blatter	blatter@ifi.unizh.ch (University of Zurich)
(home, sweet home --->)	cbmehq!cbmswi!zethos!blatter@cbmvax.commodore.com
			"There's a light where the darkness ends" (Taupin)

In article <03904.AA03904@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
>had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
>occured.

I can't be too sure, but this all is not necessarily  a fault of the Amiga.
I had similar experiences with an Epson HD-720. After big difficulties of
formatting it (needed some attempts), it seemed to work. But then I copied
my workbench several times to it and got errors. I did several passes by
marking these new blocks as bad during low-level format and again the
whole sequence, played a whole week (only evenings) with it. But couldn't
get it to run reliably. Then I had the chance to replace it by another
sample of the same brand, and voila, this works flawlessly until today.
So the morale of the story: At least SOMETIMES, also the drive itself
can be defective!

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

presley@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Matthew Presley) (08/21/90)

In article <03904.AA03904@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

> [explanation of how the Amiga destroyed his hard drive]
>
>Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

Yeah!!!!
My Sun 4 Sparc station did the same exact thing.
Still anybody around called the Sun 4 Sparc station a professional system?

Because of this one incident, I'm sure that ALL Sun 4 Sparc stations
are terrible, lame, machines that were made by a bunch of amatuer
microwave installation workers.

Hell, I remeber one time a VAX at my undergrad school crashed and they
had to spend 3 whole days fixing it.  Damn, those VAX machines just aren't
no good.  None of them are good 'cause my ain't.

I'd talk more but I have to go out and shoot all the dogs in the world
because mine got the rabies.

Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play loudly broken flutes..."