[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] scsi-controllers

skraw@thiger.UUCP (Stephan von Krawczynski) (08/03/90)

does anybody know a scsi-controller (besides ALF2) that supports:

  - FULLY functional disconnect/reconnect-protocol
  - multiple LUNs
  - password protected partitions
  - automount of all partitions
  - autoboot from FFS-partition
  - RDBs (interchange of media with other controllers like A2091/A3000)
  - hd_scsicmds
  - changeable media (syquest) with FFS

???

--
best regards,
stephan von krawczynski

UUCP : ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!danube!thiger!skraw
PHONE: +49 9938 1664
FAX  : +49 9938 1598

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (08/11/90)

In article <01789.102311@thiger.UUCP> skraw@thiger.UUCP
(Stephan von Krawczynski) writes:

> does anybody know a scsi-controller (besides ALF2) that
> supports:
>
> - FULLY functional disconnect/reconnect-protocol
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Heh-heh! I don't believe this until I've tested it myself!

> - multiple LUNs
> - password protected partitions
> - automount of all partitions
> - autoboot from FFS-partition
> - RDBs (interchange of media with other controllers like A2091/A3000)
> - hd_scsicmds
> - changeable media (syquest) with FFS

Except for the password protection:
A2091/A3000 and GVP's latest SCSI driver.

But what about ...

- DMA instead of polling,
- no MaxTransfer limit (i.e. 0x7FFFFFFF),
- block sizes != 512 (e.g. 20 meg Bernoullis),
- driver automatically executing out of 32-bit memory,
- FileSystem.resource - automatically uses 2.0 ROM filing system,
- multiple controller boards supported with a single driver EPROM,
- A-Max II support.

Of course, I'm biased, but so is Stephan. :-)

Ralph

skraw@thiger.UUCP (Stephan von Krawczynski) (08/13/90)

>In article <02969.AA02969@babylon.UUCP> rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) writes:
>In article <01789.102311@thiger.UUCP> skraw@thiger.UUCP
>(Stephan von Krawczynski) writes:
>
>> does anybody know a scsi-controller (besides ALF2) that
>> supports:
>>
>> - FULLY functional disconnect/reconnect-protocol
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Heh-heh! I don't believe this until I've tested it myself!

believe it, it does. does yours ?

>> - multiple LUNs
>> - password protected partitions
>> - automount of all partitions
>> - autoboot from FFS-partition
>> - RDBs (interchange of media with other controllers like A2091/A3000)
>> - hd_scsicmds
>> - changeable media (syquest) with FFS
>
>Except for the password protection:
>A2091/A3000 and GVP's latest SCSI driver.

cannot say anything about (your) gvp-driver (its yours, isn't it?), BUT:
A2091/A3000 DOES NOT SUPPORT disconnect/reconnect with multiple drives
(who needs d/r with one drive? this is completely absurd)

>But what about ...
>
>- DMA instead of polling,

1. who polls? do you?
2. why are these DMA-controllers that slow?

>- no MaxTransfer limit (i.e. 0x7FFFFFFF),

you are right, a maxtransfer of 32MB is quiet limited (of course you know
a lot of people with A2000 having more than 32MB continous memory :-)

>- block sizes != 512 (e.g. 20 meg Bernoullis),

aehm 1.3 FFS?

>- driver automatically executing out of 32-bit memory,

talking about harddisk-controllers, where is the 32-bit mem?

>- FileSystem.resource - automatically uses 2.0 ROM filing system,

sorry, i forgot this one. ALF2 has it.

>- multiple controller boards supported with a single driver EPROM,

oops, did i tell you something about ALF3? includes EVERY feature of ALF2
plus some new ones (like multiple controller boards supported with a single
driver EPROM :-)

>- A-Max II support.

i'd rather say A-MaxII supports harddisks than vice versa, wouldn't you?

--

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (08/15/90)

In article <01849.011307@thiger.UUCP> skraw@thiger.UUCP
(Stephan von Krawczynski) writes:

>>> - FULLY functional disconnect/reconnect-protocol
>>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Heh-heh! I don't believe this until I've tested it myself!
>
> believe it, it does. does yours ?

Yup, GVP does it.

> A2091/A3000 DOES NOT SUPPORT disconnect/reconnect with
> multiple drives

Steve?

>> - DMA instead of polling,
>
> 1. who polls? do you?

Nope, neither me nor my driver.

> 2. why are these DMA-controllers that slow?

Who is "these"? Mine isn't slow!

>> - no MaxTransfer limit (i.e. 0x7FFFFFFF),
>
> you are right, a maxtransfer of 32MB is quiet limited (of
> course you know a lot of people with A2000 having more than
> 32MB continous memory :-)

So ALF2 is not supposed to work in an A3000?

>> - block sizes != 512 (e.g. 20 meg Bernoullis),
>
> aehm 1.3 FFS?

Yup! 1.3 FFS with a 256-bytes-per-sector Bernoulli!

>> - driver automatically executing out of 32-bit memory,
>
> talking about harddisk-controllers, where is the 32-bit mem?

On my GVP '030 board incidentally sitting in the same A2000
as my GVP SCSI controller.

>> - multiple controller boards supported with a single driver EPROM,
>
> oops, did i tell you something about ALF3? includes EVERY
> feature of ALF2 plus some new ones (like multiple
> controller boards supported with a single driver EPROM :-)

How I _love_ vaporware!

>> - A-Max II support.
>
> i'd rather say A-MaxII supports harddisks than vice versa, wouldn't you?

No, I wouldn't! Get your facts straight!

Ralph

skraw@thiger.UUCP (Stephan von Krawczynski) (08/18/90)

>In article <03029.AA03029@babylon.UUCP> rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) writes:

>>>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Heh-heh! I don't believe this until I've tested it myself!
>>
>> believe it, it does. does yours ?
>
>Yup, GVP does it.

which rom-version? (heard there are quite a few...)

>> A2091/A3000 DOES NOT SUPPORT disconnect/reconnect with
>> multiple drives
>
>Steve?

he can't help you, it doesn't (at least till today).

>>> - DMA instead of polling,
>> 2. why are these DMA-controllers that slow?
>Who is "these"? Mine isn't slow!

tell me the facts, use some performance-test everybody has and give me the
values (don't forget to mention the exact configuration either).

>>> - no MaxTransfer limit (i.e. 0x7FFFFFFF),
>>
>> you are right, a maxtransfer of 32MB is quite limited (of
>> course you know a lot of people with A2000 having more than
>> 32MB continous memory :-)
>
>So ALF2 is not supposed to work in an A3000?

the problem is: nobody will buy a harddisk-controller for a machine that
comes with one already built-in.

>>> - driver automatically executing out of 32-bit memory,
>>
>> talking about harddisk-controllers, where is the 32-bit mem?
>
>On my GVP '030 board incidentally sitting in the same A2000
>as my GVP SCSI controller.

have you tested the driver executing a) from rom, b) from fastmem.
we found no measureable effect, did you (and if, how much was it)?

>>> - multiple controller boards supported with a single driver EPROM,
>>
>> oops, did i tell you something about ALF3? includes EVERY
>> feature of ALF2 plus some new ones (like multiple
>> controller boards supported with a single driver EPROM :-)
>
>How I _love_ vaporware!

read next kickstart-magazine, there it'll be tested (sorry i never
write rumors)

--

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (08/21/90)

In article <01919.034357@thiger.UUCP> skraw@thiger.UUCP
(Stephan von Krawczynski) writes:

> which rom-version? (heard there are quite a few...)

All the new features - including disconnect/reconnect (see
GVP's ad in the September issue of AmigaWorld for details) -
were implemented in Version 3 (also called FAAASTROM) of
GVP's SCSI driver. Since V3 also works with all existing GVP
cards (not just the new full-DMA controllers), it is now
their _only_ driver.

Executing out of 32-bit RAM instead of 16-bit ROM _does_
make a difference. I don't remember the exact figures, but
it was significant. Why would Dave have implemented the
FASTROM and CARDROM options in SetCPU?

Ralph

P.S.: Since we're probably the only ones interested in this
discussion, let's move it to private e-mail, ok?