[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A500 Power-On Delay Problems

megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) (08/17/90)

I have bought a used Amiga 500 with a Trumpcard and a Seagate SCSI hard
disk.  It runs great, but I have a problem when turning the system on!

When I turn the system on, nothing, and I mean NOTHING happens until about
a minute to a minute and a half goes by and then it comes on and works
great.  If, after the system has come alive, I turn it off, it will come
right back on, if I turn it back on.  However, if I wait to turn it back
on, and I'm not sure how long I'd have to wait, I again get the delay in
power on.

Almost like an old tube radio set were the tubes had to warm up, but then
would stay warm if you turned it off for just a little bit.

Is this normal behavior?  Have I a bad power supply or Amiga?  Any ideas
and or help would be appreciated.
--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Stephens City, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) TOY-DUDE

ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug17.130755.12300@chinet.chi.il.us>, megabyte@chinet (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>I have bought a used Amiga 500 with a Trumpcard and a Seagate SCSI hard
>disk.  It runs great, but I have a problem when turning the system on!
>
>When I turn the system on, nothing, and I mean NOTHING happens until about
>a minute to a minute and a half goes by and then it comes on and works
>great.  If, after the system has come alive, I turn it off, it will come
>right back on, if I turn it back on.  However, if I wait to turn it back
>on, and I'm not sure how long I'd have to wait, I again get the delay in
>power on.

Two possibilities:  1.  Seagates take forever to spin up.  As discussed
here at length recently, the Seagate 1096N takes so long that a special
Preferences setting in the A3000 was added just to handle them.
2.  This was true for my HardFrame/Quantum combo:  a SCSI controller
checks for SCSI devices in numerical order from 0 to 7.  Make sure your
Seagate is jumpered as SCSI device 0.  Quantums come from the factory
jumpered as SCSI device 6, which adds about 30 seconds to bootup time.