[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Multiple HD's on A3000

scroll@orchid.cis.ufl.edu (Steve Croll) (08/21/90)

I have an old Amiga 1000 with a Supra interface.  I would like
to move the HD to the A3000/16 I have on order.  I used SupraEdit
to create a mountlist for the drive's partions.  What will I need
to change in the mountlist to get this to work on the new machine
without losing my data?  I know I will have to change the 'driver'
entry.  How does AmigaDOS know which SCSI device the mountlist
refers to?  Is it the 'unit' entry?  If so, what should I set
this to?

Thanks.

Steve Croll (email: scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu  home: 904-373-8389)

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/22/90)

In article <24155@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> scroll@orchid.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
:
:I have an old Amiga 1000 with a Supra interface.  I would like
:to move the HD to the A3000/16 I have on order.  I used SupraEdit
:to create a mountlist for the drive's partions.  What will I need
:to change in the mountlist to get this to work on the new machine
:without losing my data?  I know I will have to change the 'driver'
:entry.  How does AmigaDOS know which SCSI device the mountlist
:refers to?  Is it the 'unit' entry?  If so, what should I set
:this to?

	If you've been using the release II software from Supra on your drive,
it's much simpler than that. Just unhook the drive from your 1000 and plug
it into your 3000. The 3000 will automatically recognise the drive and you
can go on with business. The only thing you'll find is that the volume ID
on the drive will be what used to be the volume name. Ie., SupraDrive0: instead
of DH0:. No need for a MountList entry!

:Thanks.
:
:--
:Steve Croll (email: scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu  home: 904-373-8389)

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/22/90)

>In article <24155@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> scroll@orchid.cis.ufl.edu (Steve Croll) writes:
>
>I have an old Amiga 1000 with a Supra interface.  I would like
>to move the HD to the A3000/16 I have on order. What will I need
>to change in the mountlist to get this to work on the new machine
>without losing my data?

   If it's a reasonably new Surpa - autobooting - it'll use the C= Rigid
Disk Block Standard - and this means that your A3000 will recognize the
drive right away, knowing partitions and everything. You might even get it
to autoboot off that drive.

   When I replaced my 40M Quantum with a 100M Quantum from a Supra box for
the A500, it autobooted my A3000 right away, just complaining about no
'SupraMount' command available. I had taken my 40M disk out at that point.
I was SO amazed! Not caring about the old data on that disk, I proceeded
right to the HDToolBox to repartition it, but I suppose the whole disk
would be perfectly readable by the A3000 HD controller.

   Of course, I cannot make guarantees that this will apply to any Supra.

   I always make sure to have a fresh backup before doing stuff like this,
but it's certainly nice not to have to restore to the newly moved disk.

   You might have to move the address jumper on the drive from the Supra,
to avoid to interfere with the original 40M drive, otherwise you're in for
real trouble - two drives responding to one address!

                                                 -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |