[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] low-noise fan for an A2000?

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (08/21/90)

I've had my A2000 for awhile now, and I have always been disappointed
in the noise level of the fan.  It didn't used to be a big deal, but
now it is sitting out in a room that doesn't have a door that I can
close.

Is there a replacement fan that I can purchase from somewhere that
doesn't generate as much noise yet is still adequate for the job?
Who sells it?  As for "how noisy can it be", the less noise the better.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn V) (08/24/90)

>In article <11072@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>I've had my A2000 for awhile now, and I have always been disappointed
>in the noise level of the fan.  It didn't used to be a big deal, but
>now it is sitting out in a room that doesn't have a door that I can
>close.
>
>Is there a replacement fan that I can purchase from somewhere that
>doesn't generate as much noise yet is still adequate for the job?
>Who sells it?  As for "how noisy can it be", the less noise the better.

It isn't the fan its the rattle against the box.  I too had that
problem and found a posting somewhere that explained how to remove
the fan and insert rubber grommets to reduce the fan rattle.
(if you take the fan out of the box you won't believe how quiet it
is...)  Anyway, I put it all back together and plugged a connector
(on the motherboard) in wrong!  Smoked the power supply...  The point
is, BE CAREFUL if you do it your self.  If you are interested, email
me and I will try to find the posting.  You may want to talk to your
local service center to do the job.

>		William LeFebvre
>		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
>		Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
>		Northwestern University
>		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

 - alfredo jahn

 Alfredo Jahn V               //    Internet: alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org
 3208 Cole Ave., #1303    \\ //  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!digi!ajahnv!alfredo
 Dallas, TX  75204  USA    \X/                      Voice: (214) 855-1316