[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] AmiGen/A3000 Compatibility problems: HELP!

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (08/10/90)

	First the CMI Video Encoder, NOW THIS!   AAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!

Well, now I feel much better.  I just bought an AmiGen (it was on
sale for $65 and I really needed a GENLOCK fix.  I was getting
the video DT's!)  Well, I hooked it up to my A3000 23-pin port
and took the video out to my A2002 monitor video in. (I wanted to
JUST look at the encoder part, so I did NOT put any video in.).
NO SIGNAL.  I then took the factory cable for my 2002 (the 23-pin
to 9-pin one) and hooked up the 2002 DIRECTLY to the 23-pin port.
A beautiful, flickering (hey, it does not have that video enhancer on
it!), interlaced WB 2.0 screen stared back at me.  So the port
works fine, at least those pins which are used by the monitor.

	Has anyone been able to get the AmiGen to work with the A3000?
I was NOT able to have the 1950 monitor hooked up simultaneously with
the AmiGen since the cable will not fit when the AmiGen is in place.
Do I need to have the 1950 monitor hooked up in order to use the 23-pin
port?  I tried using the display enhancer in both the enabled and disabled
positions, but this had no visible effect.  I did NOT have a 9-pin
male to 9-pin female cable to test the RGB throughput to the 2002.
I did, however, remove the little TERMINATOR from the AmiGen, hook the
9-pin to 15-pin converter to the AmiGen (the converter comes with the
1950) and then hooked the 1950 to the other side to see if I could get
an image on the 1950 from the RGB pass through of the AmiGen.  I used
both TTL and Analog modes of the 1950.  NOTHING.

	For those of you who have been following my saga, I also own a
video encoder (CMI VI500 RF) and I cannot get this to work on the 23-pin
port either.  I plug it in, and look at the composite out (on 2002 monitor
video in), the separated chroma/luma out (on the 2002 monitor video/chroma
inputs) and the RF out (co-ax directly to my TV and also into a VCR and
then to a TV.).  I also hooked the video RCA output (composite) to the video
in of my VCR and the video out of the VCR to my 2002.  I flipped all the
switches (Channel 3/4 on the encoder (making sure the VCR was on the
appropriate channel when I was using it), RGB/Sep/Comp of the 2002, etc.

NONE of these combinations give a video output.  If I hood the Encoder to
an A2000 23-pin port, it works FLAWLESSLY, with video out of the composite,
Y/C, AND RF outs.  Since I just got my AmiGen last night, I have not had a
chance to test it out on an A2000.

If anyone has been able to get an AmiGen OR CMI VI500 RF to work on the A3000,
PLEASE email me so that we can compare notes.

EXTREMELY DESPERATE!!!.........

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/26/90)

In article <1107@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
>	Has anyone been able to get the AmiGen to work with the A3000?
>I was NOT able to have the 1950 monitor hooked up simultaneously with
>the AmiGen since the cable will not fit when the AmiGen is in place.
> I did NOT have a 9-pin
>male to 9-pin female cable to test the RGB throughput to the 2002.

It works for me.  The VIDEO-OUT connector from the AmiGen works fine
connected to the composite-input on my A2002 or my VCR.  The 9-pin RGB
output of the AmiGen works fine with the A2002 or my Sony KV25XBR TV.

The 9-pin to 15-pin adaptor that comes with the A1950 does not work for
connecting the A1950 to the AmiGen's RGB out.  I think it's designed for
the signals that come out of an IBM-PC, not from the Amiga.

The A1950 can be plugged in at the same time as the AmiGen if you shave
a little of the plastic off of the side of the 15-pin plug.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms