[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Video/Toaster

boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) (08/23/90)

To anyone with video application knowledge (and the Toaster):

I am not a video person (yet), but have an interest possibly of
investing to get started in some video applications (e.g.
adding titling to EXISTING videotapes). Also, I would like
a framegrabber to take snapshots off of TV or videotapes. I
am aware of the Toaster (NewTek), and some of its capabilities.
I understand that it can perform these applications stated above.
Is this a valid understanding? I am also curious as to whether,
if one was to purchase the Toaster, is there a use for a separate
genlock device? Does the Toaster itself perform all of the
functions one gets from a good genlock device?

I hear that the Toaster will be packaged with Lightwave-3D,
a titling program, and a paint program, which makes its price
tag (around $1600) much better of a deal. But ultimately, I
want genlocking for the purpose of titling existing tapes, and
the ability to framegrab off of TV.

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (08/27/90)

In article <982@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com> boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) writes:
>To anyone with video application knowledge (and the Toaster):
>I am not a video person (yet), but have an interest possibly of
>investing to get started in some video applications (e.g.
>adding titling to EXISTING videotapes). Also, I would like
>a framegrabber to take snapshots off of TV or videotapes. I
>am aware of the Toaster (NewTek), and some of its capabilities.
>I understand that it can perform these applications stated above.
>Is this a valid understanding? I am also curious as to whether,
>if one was to purchase the Toaster, is there a use for a separate
>genlock device? Does the Toaster itself perform all of the
>functions one gets from a good genlock device?

The toaster includes a genlock, linear and chroma keyer, frame-grabber,
dual frame-buffers, and a character generator. However, it expects a
very stable video input.  This is something your camera can create but
your VCR cannot. Therefore, all VCR inputs must be first run through a
Time Base Corrector before being input to the Toaster. Here are the
specs I have for the Toaster:

Video Standard: NTSC
Inputs:         4 composite synchonous inputs (BNC)
                1v p-p coherent chroma
                software controllable temination (75 ohm/Hi-Z)
                Keyed clamping DC restore
Main Video Out: 1v p-p composite into 75 ohms
Preview Output: 1v p-p composite into 75 ohms
Refrence Video: Composite color or black burst on video input #1
Insertion Delay: 400ns Video in to Main out
Sync Gen:       Sync, blank, and burst internally regenerated
                Meets all FCC broadcast video & RS-170A specs
SN ratio:       >55 db
Sample Rate:    14.31818 MHz
Quantization:   8 bits
Differential Phase: <3 degrees
Lum. Bandwidth: +0/-3 db to 5 MHz
Lum. Resolution: >400 lines
Memory:         8 fields (expandable)
Still Store:    Dual outputs independently routed to switcher
                Stores 1, 2, 4, or 8 fields
        Capacity:       Up to 1000 frames depending on hard disk
        Load Time:      From RAM: <1/5 second
                        From Hard Disk: <3 seconds
Switcher:       7 inputs:
                        External video 1-4
                        Digital channel 1
                        Digital channel 2
                        Matte generator
                Independent software control of input channel at
                every pixel (70ns)
                Linear Keyer: 16 steps @ 70ns resolution
                              256 steps @ 280ns resolution
                Dual Luminance keyer for dual threhold keying or two
                independant keys.
                Dual clip level control with 256 steps.
                Key input switchable to any input or digital still store.
                Independently selectable Preview output.
Digital Effects: Arbitrary geometric remapping at 60 fps

>I hear that the Toaster will be packaged with Lightwave-3D,
>a titling program, and a paint program, which makes its price
>tag (around $1600) much better of a deal. But ultimately, I
>want genlocking for the purpose of titling existing tapes, and
>the ability to framegrab off of TV.

Combine the Toaster with a TBC (you can get one for around $1500 to
$2000) and you will have a broadcast quality video setup that production
houses would pay MANY tens of thousands of dollars for.
Hope this helps!
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |