[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 68010 questions

Andy Hartman <sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (03/29/90)

Can I just drop a 12Mhz '10 into my Amiga 500?  Will this cause any problems?
I don't want to melt anything, I just want to do this if at all possible.
Thanks,
Andy Hartman

     *                     |      ////  "Only Amiga makes *
     *	Andy Hartman       |     ////    it possible.     *
     *  Indiana University | \\\X///     Only Commodore   *
     *                     |  \XXX/ 	 screws it up!"   *
     * AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu  | views are mine... *
     * sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu|	   SO THERE!	  *

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (03/30/90)

In article <40109@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) writes:
>Can I just drop a 12Mhz '10 into my Amiga 500?  Will this cause any problems?
                 Yes.                               Electrical, no.

For improperly written programs (ones that do not use the GetCC system call
to get condition codes) you will need to run a program called DeciGel.
Look for it on an very low numbered fish disk near you.

Do not expect any noticeable performance increase.

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

In article <12077@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@trub.crd.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:

>Just a quicky on the "is a 68010 any better" question.  There is supposed to
>be some improvement on tight loops.  Would the data transfer loop for a
>non-DMA disk driver be likely to fit in the cache? (GVP in particular, maybe
>I should ask them)  Would this make a difference in transfer speed, CPU
>available to other tasks, etc?  How about chip memory contention?

This is one of the places a 68010 might show you significant performance gains.
One of the most obvious uses of 68010 loop mode is for faster large block
transfers; if you can avoid reading instructions, and just deal with data in
and out, you can't help but go faster.

The problem with this theory, of course, is that some of the unrolled loop
tricks used to make block transfers go faster on a plain 68000 would go
slower on a 68010 than a simple DBNZ loop which can exploit loop mode on
the '010.  My best guess would be that, if a program were to use the CopyMem()
or CopyMemQuick() routines in Exec, the transfer could be about as fast as
possible on a 68000, and even faster than that on a 68010.

Chances are, the nature of the performance gain would be more towards the
"CPU available to other tasks" than anything else.  The disk controller on
a good programmed I/O drive like the GVP isn't taking any CPU time until
the transfer is complete, then it activates the CPU to do the transfer.  As
compared to the CPU time spent seeking an all, you won't notice that much
of a delay in CPU copying, but you could easily spend lots of CPU time on
the copy itself.  If loop mode made the transfer take 1/2 the normal time
(I doubt it's that effective, but take that as a guess), then the 20% of
CPU time you might have spent on disk service might now be only 10%.  In other
words, only a good benchmarking program could tell you just how much of a
help this would be.  I expect the 68010 to help you out more on this kind
of thing than any arbitrary CPU operation, but the extent of help is hard
to guess.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

maniac@howlin.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) (04/10/90)

> Just a quicky on the "is a 68010 any better" question.  There is supposed to
> be some improvement on tight loops.  Would the data transfer loop for a
> non-DMA disk driver be likely to fit in the cache?

I have the PaloMAX drive project, which is non-DMA based, and I got an
increase
as reported by diskperf from 150K/sec up to 250K/sec!  that alone made
the 68010
worth the price.

Eric Schwertfeger, maniac@jimi.CS.UNLV.EDU

sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) (04/12/90)

Could someone send me a list of programs that will not work on the 68010?  I
got mine today and put it in (I'm still shaking!).

Anyway, I want to know what programs not to bother getting.

Also, could someone point me to a copy of Decigel?  I guess it's supposed to
help some programs use the '10.

I am also going to be selling my A500 (1 Meg, CA-880 exter., 68000,68010)
this summer as I will be getting an A2000.  Can anyone tell me realisticly
how much I can expect for my 500?  I need to know so I can plan now.

Can someone also tell me the part number of the fatter agnus?  I opened
my Ami up for the first time and I have the part number.  It's:

							MOS
							8370
							1788  23

I doubt it is the Fatter Agnus since the computer is nearing 1 year old.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
AMH

In <1990Aug29.033653.22886@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) writes:
>I am considering putting a 68010 into my 7 MHz A500 (as a cheap way of getting
>a little speed increase).  I have several questions about this:

'little' is the operative word. The 68010 better be low cost to justify the
increase.

>1.  Does anything need to be done besides pulling the 68000 and dropping
>    in the 010? (in the way of jumpers, etc.)

Nothing needs to be done, other than plugging in the '010

>2.  How much of a speed increase can I expect?

Average, maybe 5%, best case with selected programs, maybe 7%
Expect no more than 5%, and you won't be disappointed

>3.  Are there any side affects? (i.e. does any of my software have to change?
>    I am running 1.2)

Some older software had problems with it, that could be fixed by running a
small patch program called DeciGel. This did not work with some programs, and
especially not with commercial, copy-protected games that required booting from
the program disk.

>4.  Is it worth it?

I didn't think so. It was a 'don't care which is in' situation for me.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) (08/29/90)

I am considering putting a 68010 into my 7 MHz A500 (as a cheap way of getting
a little speed increase).  I have several questions about this:

1.  Does anything need to be done besides pulling the 68000 and dropping
    in the 010? (in the way of jumpers, etc.)
2.  How much of a speed increase can I expect?
3.  Are there any side affects? (i.e. does any of my software have to change?
    I am running 1.2)
4.  Is it worth it?

I am posting this for my brother, so I would appreciate it if you could
respond to rbw@spock.byu.edu.  Thanks in advance.

				Jeff Wille (wille@frith.egr.msu.edu)
					   (wille@happy.egr.msu.edu)

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything.   -- Gregg Easterbrook