[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Random-flakiness

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/17/90)

A friend of mine who is a Mac-oid (and before that, Apple-][-oid),
but who is also impressed with some of the things he see's in
Amiga's, was looking for a new computer a little while ago.
For part of his looking around he read comp.sys.amiga.all for
awhile.  He got this impression that the Amiga's had a higher
amount of random-flakiness than the other computers.

He wouldn't listen that he wasn't taking a statistically bad sample ..
And in any case, it might've been a good sample.

Some people claim that random-flakiness is cured by adding a UPS
type thing to the system.

This is one of those Customer Perceptions which should be erased
if it's to be taken as a Serious Machine.

Maybe C= can increase/improve QA if it's necessary?

etc...

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

marco@hprmokg.HP.COM (Marco Gonzalez) (08/22/90)

/ hprmokg:comp.sys.amiga.hardware / spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) / 12:28 pm  Aug 14, 1990 /
> I'm having a problem with my 1MB A500. My machine is a wonderful
> piece of hardware, but has one intermittent bug. Occasionally, with
> no warning, the machine does a warm reboot. This is NOT a guru, it
	{stuff deleted]
> but until then, any suggestions what do do with my 500 are appreciated.

  I had a similar problem with my A500 and it turned out to be a bad
  solder joint on the power supply connector, this caused the machine to
  power cycle with any slight movement of the keyboard. This could be
  your problem, because a friend of mine with an A500 also had exactly the
  same thing.
   One way to test this out is to get the machine to work and try moving
   the power supply connector from side to side with small movements, if
   the machine reboots, there's the "bug". All you have to do is open
   the computer and remove the motherboard from the case, taking apart
   the metal shielding and resoldering the power connector pins.

>                         Thanks!

	I hope this helps!,
				Marco Gonzalez
				marco@hprmokg
				Hewlett Packard Co.

	Disclaimer: my opinions in no way reflect those of my employer.

Steve Worley                                         spworley@athena.mit.edu
----------

In article <7770@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>For part of his looking around he read comp.sys.amiga.all for
>awhile.  He got this impression that the Amiga's had a higher
>amount of random-flakiness than the other computers.
>
>He wouldn't listen that he wasn't taking a statistically bad sample ..
>And in any case, it might've been a good sample.

	Realize that people who don't have problems have no reason to post.
Think of the fact that there are ~25-50,000 who read these groups (I haven't
checked out news.lists recently).  Also, all manufacturers have similar
flakies over large populations.  I remember reading an article in macuser
or macworld listing the % of machines that had problems with specific parts
in a mac (which being largely unrepairable, due to soldering, is less likely
to have loose chip problems).  Some of the numbers went as high as 15% or more
(I think the highest was the analog video board), if I remember right.

>This is one of those Customer Perceptions which should be erased
>if it's to be taken as a Serious Machine.
>
>Maybe C= can increase/improve QA if it's necessary?

	We're certainly trying.  Have you noticed the new FedEx repair
policy?  I certainly think that's a step in right direction.

Disclaimer: I'm an software engineer, not a QA or marketing guy.
Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"