[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Telebit compatible?

In article <1990Aug11.175007.25141@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcharl3@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Mike Charlton) writes:

>Hi all.  Thanks to everybody who responded to my message.  For anyone who
>is interested; apparently the sysop deal is still on.  You have to call
>the US Robotics BBS which is at (312) 982-5092 (I haven't tried it yet,
>so call at your own risk).  The sysop price for a 9600 baud modem is
>around $450 for an HST modem and a bit more for V.32 compatible modems
>(these are prices from last February).  You have to download the order
>form and send it in.  Be aware that there is a difference between V.32
>and HST protocols at 9600 baud.  USR sells a dual standard modem if this
>is important to you.
>               Thanks again for all the info,
>                       Mike

Implications here make for a modestly warm fuzzy feeling.  A few years
back there were three incompatible technologies in the 9600 baud modem
world, as three independently invented methods for cramming data on a
phone line nominally incapable of carrying it were dsicovered.  From
the above, (specifically "V.32 compatible") it looks like USR and
Telebit might be able to talk some common protocol nowadays.  Can anyone
confirm/deny/do a tutorial for us?  At one time essentially all of USENet
chose to standardize on Telebit, to have a common protocol.  Is that
still necessary?

Thanks.  Please post, I'm interested in seeing this question discussed
here, as a higher speed modem for Ami is somewhere in her future.

Kent, the man from xanth.

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/15/90)

>In article <1990Aug13.113053.841@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>From the above, (specifically "V.32 compatible") it looks like USR and
>Telebit might be able to talk some common protocol nowadays.  Can anyone
>confirm/deny/do a tutorial for us?

   True, it's V.32.

>At one time essentially all of USENet
>chose to standardize on Telebit, to have a common protocol.  Is that
>still necessary?

   You can't use the HST protocol for anything on USENet, due to the packet
size of the UUCP protocol. Thus, UseNet had to use Telebits. Now that
Telebit turns out V.32 modems as does USRobotics, good times are ahead.
The Telebit you'll need is T2500, the USR is the Dual Standard.

   You can run UUCP on Dual Standard using V.32, but Telebits will give you
better transfer rates. On the other hand, USR's are much cheaper. If you wish
to use your modem for both BBS's and UUCP, I'd recommend a HST Dual Standard.

>Thanks.  Please post.

   You're welcome :-)

                              Have a nice day            -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

Johannes.Mistelbauer@f3.n313.z2.FIDONET.ORG (Johannes Mistelbauer) (08/19/90)

In an article of <Aug 18 03:00>, Henrik Clausen wrote to All:

 HC>   You can run UUCP on Dual Standard using V.32, but Telebits will give
 HC>you better transfer rates. On the other hand, USR's are much cheaper.
 HC>If you wish to use your modem for both BBS's and UUCP, I'd recommend a
 HC>HST Dual Standard.

Look out for the HST/ix. This version of the HST has full UUCP-G support
like the Trailblazer ...

Bye Johannes

--

   Johannes Mistelbauer
   Gated via FidoNet node 2:310/1 (His Master's Voice [Eur/Aut/Vie])

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (08/25/90)

><>
>Item:864  About: Re: Telebit compatible? (Re: USR 9600 baud modems)
>Date: Mon Aug 20 22:11:05 1990
>In an article of <Aug 18 03:00>, Henrik Clausen wrote to All:
>
> HC>   You can run UUCP on Dual Standard using V.32, but Telebits will give
> HC>you better transfer rates. On the other hand, USR's are much cheaper.
> HC>If you wish to use your modem for both BBS's and UUCP, I'd recommend a
> HC>HST Dual Standard.
>
>Look out for the HST/ix. This version of the HST has full UUCP-G support
>like the Trailblazer ...

But why not just get the Telebit T2500 ?? PEP , protocol spoofing and V.42

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]========
=      "And in the darkened offices, the terminals shine like stars."      =
============= Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ==================
= NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either             =
= Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.              =
==== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

Duane.Tackett@afitamy.fidonet.org (Duane Tackett) (08/30/90)

I just got my V.42 chips from USR a couple days ago, they work great!  Just
thought I'de let you know...

     Duane Tackett
Sysop - Other Side BBS
     513-253-7523

--- TAGMAIL v2.40.02 Beta
 * Origin: AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway Dayton, Ohio (1:110/300)

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Duane Tackett - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!Duane.Tackett
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Duane.Tackett@afitamy.fidonet.org